Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easiest way to line up springs and spring pad on axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Nov 15, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay guys I've had the worst luck with installing these shims, now that I've got them in, I'm having difficulties getting the spring pins to line up with the slot for them on the spring pads..is there a really simple way to do this that I'm just too dumb to figure out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Man just keep fightin' with them. When I put my lift in, I had to fight like hell, but they'll go.

John

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are doing it with jackstands and a jack, you are gonna need more than one person. Took me and my friends (notice the plural form) a total of 6 hands to get it lined up and u-bolts on. If you were not 4 states away, i'd lend my paws to the cause /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifbut alas....

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I usually jack up the axle until the spring pin is just touching the spring pad, then go up another 1/2 inch or so. This puts just enough tension on the spring so that the pin will pop into the hole when it lines up. Then I hold onto the frame or axle and push against the spring with my feet. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif This provides plenty of leverage to move things around. Once the pin lines up, it should drop right into the hole on the spring pad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sometimes it's easier to use two jacks also. One to support the weight of the axle, then another under the pinion bearing area to keep the axle rotated in the right position. This will keep the spring pads at the correct angle so the pins can drop in easier. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif