Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easiest Way To Remove Doors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, May 1, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I leave tomorrow for a weekend ride and would like to leave my doors at the campsite. If not I'll take them off today here at home. What is the easiest way to take them off and be able to put them back on after the weekend? I can't even figure out how the pins come out... when I looked at getting longer pins to maybe use a cotter pin setup, they were all the same length (at Auto Zone) or shorter. I need some /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. Thanks!

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

torch is prolly the easiest way......

but if you pull the hinges off on the door side, then you can grind the pins down. and make them quick release type for easier removal in the future. i have an extra set of hinges i am going to make some like that to sell.
    grant

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if you just take the door off (leave hinges on), you will have no problem putting door back on. IF you take off the hinges(as I did this week) you will have a "fun" time trying to realign the door. It's not an easy task. The only way to remove the pins is to grind the factory pressed ends to allow for easy removal. I did and now I can remove my driver's side door easily without removing hinge. Is it aligned yet...Nope.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I unbolted the door from the hinges and left the hinges on the truck. I then took a BFH and beat out the pins. then I ground the pins down on each end so it would slide in and out easy. Drill a hole in the end of one of the pins. Now the bottom pin can just drop in but the top pin has to come in From the bottom so it will need a cotter pin or something.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

With a little prep, removeable pins is the way. Otherwise, unbolt the hinges from the door. But first, use a scribe, sharpy/felt ink pen, or a quick blast of spray paint to mark the hinge location so that you can get the hinge lined back up easily.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I'm going to have to mark it and unbolt it from the door. I can't get the bottom hinge pin out on the pass. side, even with the end ground down all the way. I think making the quick release pins with the doors off the truck will be much easier, not to mention I'm late getting to town! Thanks for the tip!