Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easiest way to tell between a d60 and d70

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, May 15, 2005.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hey quick question for a friend what is the easiest way to tell a rear dana 60 from a dana 70?

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Usually the webbing at the chunk is a good identifier but since your buddy is not familiar than look for the casting marks in the lower right web corner when you are facing the diff cover. MOST of the time it will tell you what model it is but not always.
    Just some guide lines:
    "B" series D70's usually have a large B casted on top of the pinion channel of the chunk.
    HD D70's are just stout as can be and look like they are on steriods - even id you are not familiar with axles a HD 70 will look beefier than others.
    "U" series D70's are very smooth on the bottom and almost round in shape on the bottom side.

If still in question post up a pic for your buddy and we'll do what we can to help .
    HTH . Tom

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

alright thanks i think the info u gave will do him good
    thanks again if he cant figure it out ill get him 2 send over a picture

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The best way yo tell if it is a desireable 70 is to pull a shaft.It should be 1.5" 35 spline.A BOM can help out alot too.Mine did not have a BOM but it wasnt that big of a deal to get parts.Best I can tell mine is out of a 73 Dodge D or W300 :D

Chris