Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eastern Canada, Is It Of Any Benefit To The Free World?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Can't think of one reason right now. Anyone care to open up this discussion??????????:D

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Bubba, Eastern Canada isn't the problem. What we need to deal with is the portion of this great land that spans from the eastern border of Quebec to the western border of Ontario. We like to refer to it as "Central Canada".

In fact, if you're talking with a Newfie or a Newbie, and you call an Ontarian an "easterner", the Newf/Newb will be quick to tell you to quit lumping everyone east of Manitoba together as an easterner. In fact, the line I've heard more than a few times is "You're paying them Ontarians a compliment by callin' 'em "easterners", and insultin' me at the same time, bye."

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you just think you special cuse you gots oil and stuff

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So Ontario should be removed to Mexico to make things right?????????

5. Can Can

Jealousy will get you nowhere, Dave. :rotfl:

6. Can Can

Actually, Bubba, the french speaking Quebecers are the biggest problem. They want their own country VERY badly, yet don't want to work or pay for it.

Come to think of it, the would fit right in in Mexico, pasty skin and body odor aside. :rotfl:

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah well we got big lakes and stuff we dont much like the frenchies eather, and besides i am from BC.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Bwahahaha!! I get to deal with some of them canucks at work, and you can always tell the dicks from the cool ones by looking at the plates...:D

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What would be the pro/cons of letting them go?

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Why plates?

11. Can Can

Pros-

We would get rid of a bunch of people who don't want to be part of our country. In most countries, a political party like the Bloc would be arrested and hanged after being charged with treason.

We could also save a bunch of money- a big percentage of our tax dollars gets sent to Quebec in the form of "transfer payments". Basically, the "have" provinces subsidize the "have not" provinces, and Quebec is the money pit of Canada.

Cons- We'd have nobody left to make fun of........:rotfl:

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You can have Corey, he's easy like Sunday morning.

John

13. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Cons: a good majority of canadian tax money comes from quebec. Having a population second only to ontario, sure we would save transfer payments, but the beauty is ... were really just giving those idiots part of their own money back.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

they want to change from a provance compleatly dependant on Canada, to an independant nation

.......compleatly dependant on canada

con- if they split the pricks in alberta would want to leave.

(so i have been told)

oh and i meen the prick would want to leave, not that albertans are pricks

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

So what you're saying is, they are just like the real French.

John

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ya know from the outside looking in that sounds like communism to me. I could not imagine my tax dollars going to say Kansas to bail them out on state issues. Fock that I don't live there so why should my tax's pay for anything there.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Corey, all the provinces get Federal transfer money. The problem is the amount is based on who whines the loudest rather than some sort of logical way like population.

Provincial tax money does not flow to other provinces.

The biggest con of Quebec leaving is that Alberta and the rest of the West would be next, which would soon cause a massive fracturing of the country. It'd be the end of Canada as much as I hate to say it.

Rene

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So why would Alberta and the other western provinces want to secede?

19. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's ok, BC and Alberta can join the States....:D

20. Can Can

Corey, the big push for Western separation is based on simple economics. Together, BC and Alberta have a monopoly on natural resources. Up here, resources are provincial jurisdiction, and as a result, we make a lot of money. Unfortunately, the Feds have found a way to screw us out of our coin by legislating that every province contributes to a fund, and then redistributes the cash in said fund to help the "poor" provinces top up their coffers. Basically, it's a legal version of "robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Another issue at the heart of the matter is something called "Western Alienation". Our governement was founded on the principle of "Proportional Representation", and because a large majority of our population lives in two provinces, those two provinces have always determined the way our country is run. The West really has no say, even though we are the economic heartbeat of Canada, and this has led to a feeling of alienation, rightly so. Heck, our Federal elections are already finished by the time I reach the polls EVERY TIME I VOTE, because after Quebec and Ontario vote it doesn't matter how any other province votes.

On a personal note, many Central Canadians I have met think they come from the center of the universe. There are plenty of ex-Ontarians living in Canmore, and I get sick and tired of hearing how awesome Ontario is. It happens ALL the time. My typical response to that line of BS is "If it's so good in Ontario, **** off and move back." And I won't even bother commenting on the average Quebecer that moves here, other than to say that after watching them for over 8 years, it's REALLY hard not to stereotype the entire bunch of them as rude, arrogant and pushy.

Well, that's my take on things, at least. Customchevy lives on the other end of the spectrum, and can offer his view on things, which I'm sure you'll see far differs from mine. That being said, he's never been on the short end of the political stick. I'd be curious to see how he felt about this if he moved to Alberta for a few years.