Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eastwood Corrolless.....? Painting clean, fresh metal.....mostly!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Does anyone know what happened to the product called Corrolless from the Eastwood Company? I can't find it anymore in their listings or catalog, though I now see a product called "Rust Encapsulator"....?

I have sandblasted a lot of stuff on my truck and 98% of the metal is totally clean. There are some areas where a slight rust pitting exists. I've blasted them as well as I could, but there's probably a slight amount of residual rust in the "pores".....

Corrolless was an "etching primer" I believe. It was a brick red color, and could be painted over with any paint. I used their Chassis Black paints over it with good results in the past.....but now I'm not sure what product might be best.

I keep reading about POR-15, but I'm not sure that is the correct product for "clean" metal....it seems that it's main selling point is that you can just brush it over rusty metal and it reacts chemically to stop it. If there is no rust to "react" with, I am left wondering whether it is going to be an effective "first coating" for my restoration work....???

2. eastk5

eastk5 Registered Member

Yes its the same thing, just a new name. I just used it a bout a month ago when i repainted my blazer. you can now get it in either red or black. great product you wont be disappointed with it.

Joel

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

greg, they sell a prep for clean metal to etch it,I've bought there starter kit and it has all the thing you need.
    por15

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Oh yes, the other thing is that I want to "prep" all the metal to keep it from re-rusting, but I will need to probably cut out some metal and weld-in patches.

I want to make sure that whatever I use is appropriate for this type of followup work. I envision being able to simply "grind off" the paint near the area where I'm working, perform my patches, and then re-spray the protective coating on there..... I don't know if all products are intended for that type of use, or it they are considered a "final coat" once all bodywork is completed????

I know that for areas where no futher painting will be performed (like inside rocker boxes) they also sell a "cold galvanizing compound" to lock out rust. But it can never be painted over, so it's not always a good solution.