Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy 14ff question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Oct 26, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the width of your 14ff spring plates. I think the ones I have are to narrow cause there making the Ubolts spread out as I torque them down is this normal and should I just finish bolting the 14ff up or should I get some new spring plates that actually fit. Thanks for the help

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you have them seated incorrectly. They need to seat so the curved ends on the plates are facing forward and backwards rather than on the sides of the springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

definately sounds like they're on wrong, the dip for the center pin to go into should run side to side, not front to back..

4. CaveBlazin

Im sure I have them correctly cause the Ubolts will not fit the other way. Im just wondering if these plates go to a 10 bolt or something. THanks

5. CaveBlazin

and the dip is running side to side not front to back.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you retained the same plates from the Blazer, then thats the problem. You need the plates that were fitted to a 14FF.
    10 and 12 bolt axles are a 3" tube diameter where the 14FF is a 3 3/8" tube diameter. Do the math there and you will understand the u-bolts will bow inboard when you use the 10 bolt plates. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

You have 2 fixes to solve this. One would be to ream out the holes in the 10B plates or two, find some original 14FF plates which is the preferred method by literally everyone here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CaveBlazin

Here's whats weird the Ubolts are bowing outward not straight down like they should. HMMM Its weird as for the plates thats why I was asking how wide they are cause I got the plates from a friend that said uhhh I think these go to a 14ff so thats my problem. Thanks