Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy bolt on HP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by horsepit, Jan 6, 2002.

1. horsepit

horsepit Registered Member

What are the easy HP improvements for a 1987 Blazer 350 / TH700R4. Air cleaners, ignition up grades, exhaust? What to do something with out having to go into it. It's low miles and runs tight.

1987 Blazer, Rancho 4"

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I'd say all the things you've mentioned will be an improvement ........... Another would be to play around with your timing a bit.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

exhaust is a great place to start. You could use headers, but not necessary for a stock motor that runs good. just the duals cat back type will do for 10-15 HP usually. Air cleaner is good for small HP gain. You could do a 1.6 ratio rocker arm swap- Same as new cam, but without going into motor..adds a little lift &amp; duration.( if you do 1.6 rocker arms, also do headers for more HP)Ignition upgrade is not necessary. New plugs and wires and a good basic tuneup (filters,etc.) is always good for a little boost too. In the summer time a 160 degree thermostat is nice too to keep motor cool and good for HP. You can bypass that D^#&amp;! EGR valve too for some more power.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

4. horsepit

Okay, which air cleaner, ignition up grades, exhaust?

1987 Blazer, Rancho 4"

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> How do you bypass the EGR ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> K&amp;N air filter ....... MSD6A ignition system .......A good set of duals with headers .

L8r,

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I did exhaust, k&amp;n on mine when I got it, and I noticed a HUGH difference!!! (picked up 2 1/2 MPG too)...

on one of my 89's I did NGK plugs, taylor wires (8mm), accell dist., and accell coil. on the other k5 I did a MSG 6a ign. with all the other stuff the same, and I performance increase with both was about the same. unless running over 4500 RPM (which isn't really practical with a k5 anyway) then I wouldn't spend the extra $$$.

I'd do all those without the MSD ign. (select coil &amp; wires of choice)... that will keep it reasonably cheap too.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

8. horsepit

Wow you guys are fast. Thanks for all the input.
    Riz, nice looking engine. So you prefer a 4" lift and 2" body instead of a 6" lift? What do you suggest with the timing? You chose the large K &amp; N inplace of a fresh air kit?
    Neil, thanks for the info. I forgot about the 1.6s. Did that to an old Chevelle I had.
    Jeff, thanks. Why change the dist. unless I'm having a problem? Would the wires, plugs and coil do enough? Which K &amp; N did you use?
    Which cat backs are the favorite?

1987 Blazer, Rancho 4"

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

dist. isn't that expensive, and I basically changed it for good measure... I was side tracked, and didn't realize everybody else had replied before I had. [​IMG]

if I was doing the rest of it then no reason not to do it all while I was in there.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Try going through the basics first off, if you haven't already...wires, cap, rotor, plugs. I just "repaired" (new years day, no one was open) my cap/rotor/advance, and even though I had gotten 18MPG freeway out of it, and it ran good, teh cap contacts were corroded, the rotor screws had backed out, and the dist. weights were bound up because the bushings had failed.

Best bolt on for your dollar performance wise, without opening the engine up, has to be headers. Now, that may require exhaust upgrades, but I bet most out there that haven't replaced the exhaust yet, are going to have to one day soon anyways. great excuse to do headers : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with Dorian.
    Headers and a good exahust system is the best way to gain more power. It is always the first modification I make to my vehicles. A good exhaust system is also needed to get the most out of any future performance mods you may want to do.
    A K&amp;N air filter to go along with the exahust would also help.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins