Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy in easy out Tranny and Xfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazerfun, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Blazerfun

Blazerfun Registered Member

I hate swapping out trannys and transfer cases and used to split them when pulling and installing. I found a much easier way and thought I would share. I have a 76 K-5 with a 6" lift and 35's so you know up front. An engine hoist, with the arm extended to the 500lb mark will slide right in your passenger door, drop a chain down the shifter hole, wrap it around the case, making sure you dont get hold of any linkages on the shifter, and crank her up into place. Slide the tranny onto the tabs and bolt away!! Easiest change I have done. Took me half the time and no wrestling to get the tranny and case into place!

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

the easiest way i found, and actually in the process at the moment is using all thread. just 4 rods and let it down, the just use a ratchet wrench and up it goes

NITRO

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Nitro what are you talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

we always used my friends winch. It was mounted to a flat plate that bolted to his frame rails. We would take it off and set a concrete block on each side of the hump in the floor board. run the hook down through and winch the whole deal into place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Worked pretty good.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We built a plat that bolts to the floor jack. Its cut so that the crossmember fits into it and the tranny and transfer case are supported and balanced. Makes it all real quick and easy.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

take out the 4 bolts that hold the x-member to the frame, then put all thread in its place with a nut on the piece above the frame with a washer, then on the other side of the x-member, put a washer and nut on there, then just loosen or tighten the nut to move it up or down. i just got done switchin TC's and it worked perfect. ill post some pics as soon as it quits snowing if ya dont understand

NITRO