Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easy install of the day with some bling bling to boot. ( DEATH TO THE BOX LOOK MORE )

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Apr 22, 2007.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i got my msd off road box and off road rev box mounted today on a custom plate and then to the cab. then i pluged in my wire harnnes from msd that was plug and play. installed the 5k rev pill and fired it up. seems to idel a little smother. so mabye i can bur the cheep 87 gas a little easyer as the stuff is just under 3.00 gal here.

panel cut from alum tread plate. then set the 2 boxes on and marked holes . drilled and then held up to cab in the spot i wanted. marked for holes and drilled both panel and cab.

installed all boxes with nylock nuts and then installed panel with rubber mount feet to cab with nylock nuts. she shouldnt vibrate off any time soon.

only real pita was remove wipers / cowel panel / and cowel cover. then reinstall them.

msd install 002.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

looks good do you play in mud or on the rocks...had a buddy who had one and he mounted were yours is and got mud and water in it and msd wouldnt rebuild it...they will rebuild a 6al though...

3. sweetk30

thay cant reman a offroad box. as its incased in goop. and will never come out . so thay cant get to the bad parts to reman it. i have had the box for a few years before i found this out or i would have not gotten the off road box. but it does work and its is still running. i play in some mud and snow and mostly street drivin for this truck.

4. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

I have had 4 Offroad boxes die on me. (warranty on the first 3 I am SOL on the last one). I had a 6a on a Jeep nearly 10 years ago and it still works fine for the new owner.

The offroad box heats up in the goop and kills itself.

5. sweetk30

well i have been a firm beliver in msd since i first got my stuff years ago. and lots of guys i know run them also.

but after today on lunch time food run i am second guessing them. along with this thread. http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202427&highlight=msd

today i rounded the corner from one street to a 4 lane and she died on my. felt just like someone pulled the coil wire. and it had felt no diffrent than stock ignition when i pluged it all in. but my old truck was big diffrence when i pluged it all in.

so this box had 5-7k miles on it. then in storage for about 3 years. now not even 48 hrs on the road again she died on me. the same thing happened to a std 6al box after 5-7k miles of new use to death when i swaped to the offroad box.

so i pop the hood and unplug the msd plug and go back to stock ( thank god i got the plug and play harnness ) . what do ya know she fired right up. finshed driving to lunch and never skiped a beat after.

and after i went back to stock it felt better than the msd stuff. less lag off throttle and faster revs. i think she was doomed from the start.

so this thursday i have a mision msd is getting a phone call from me. and thay can keep me as a customer or lose out big time from no money from me and or any of my friends who ask what to run in the future .

what is your take on this whole problem? :confused: i am at whits end here my self.

i have gotten a offroad box/ rev box/ coil/ harnness/ 5k chip from he!!/ and mounting and building time to install it. and before i had tbi i also got a pro buillit dist and blaster coil . thats a lot of cash in there pockets and out of mine.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ick, you guys are scaring me. I just dropped $500 on a Pro-Billet Dist and 6 OffRoad box! And I got the Pro-Billet with internal pickup that requires a MSD box to run! No going back to stock if the box dies for me...

7. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Put the box inside the cab. Used to run all my drag cars like that. If you mount in the cab you will not have to worry about it.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

going to do just that. Coil and box inside, maybe I will put a cooling fan blowing on them as well.

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Imo, I think it's the Off Road box. All of the failures so far in this thread are the Off Road style and I know Ratzila had a problem with his first (warrantied). Personally, I've got a 6AL with a pro-billet distributor and -knock on wood - I've never had a problem.

I agree with installing the coil and box inside the cab, mine were inside my K10 and will be again in my K5. Heat kills electronics and an engine bay is full of it. I'd get a new box and put it all inside before scrapping the set up.

10. sweetk30

this box was in the truck cab till 3 days ago . :eek1: :doah: