Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy Off oven cleaner...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Used this stuff clean up my new D60 today...Coated it pretty good. Let it sit long enough to get the pressure washer out, gassed up and hooked up, sprayed it off- about 75% of the grease and 50% of the paint came off too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I would imagine it would work even better if I let it sit as long as the direction say- 8 hours. It's good stuff, don't breath the fumes though, lol, its like a low grade pepper spray. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Used this stuff clean up my new D60 today...Coated it pretty good. Let it sit long enough to get the pressure washer out, gassed up and hooked up, sprayed it off- about 75% of the grease and 50% of the paint came off too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I would imagine it would work even better if I let it sit as long as the direction say- 8 hours. It's good stuff, don't breath the fumes though, lol, its like a low grade pepper spray. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And tonight.....when sleeping and cuddling your D60 in bed, you will detect a soothing "lemon fresh" scent!! Should help you drift off into a deep sleep..... Perhaps a few sprinkles of baby powder now that you're "baby" has had it's bath????

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

for some reason I don't think this post is about oven cleaner Mr. 60....

4. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    for some reason I don't think this post is about oven cleaner Mr. 60....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are partly correct. I'm pretty damn stoked about the 1 ton thing, but I really did make this post intending it to be about oven cleaner. Stuff works good. Used it on my big block awhile back too. Toxic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

did it hurt any of the rubber or seals? I'm getting ready to do my axles but I'm going to do them under the truck.

6. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

It does work good, just keep it away from aluminium and paint that you want to keep.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dont leave it on more than 10 or 15 min at most. 99% of the oven cleaners are caustic. very bad to metal.
    A GOOD RINSE is needed. a pressure washer is great for one pass of rinsing, then use soap and water.
    Grant

8. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    dont leave it on more than 10 or 15 min at most. 99% of the oven cleaners are caustic. very bad to metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-15 minutes? Isn't the inside of an oven made of metal? The directions on the can said you could leave it in a cold oven for 8 hours. BBQ grills too. I can't imagine that it would hurt an axle in the least. It did take some of the military paint off tha axle...CARC paint is some more or less bullet proof paint too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Seventy4Blazer

10 to 15 for the seals, bearings, and bare metal. the inside of a well kept oven and grill SHOULD not have any bare metal and are a high temp hi quality paint.

Grant

10. Zeus33rd

Ok, just to prove a point, I've got a few old D44 carrier bearings. I'll go buy a can of easy off, fill up a jar with enuff of it to cover a bearing, and let it soak over night. Be willing to bet it doesn't hurt it in the least. Maybe I'll throw an old pinion seal in there too. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

throw some aluminum in there while you are at it.
    caustic is a caustic. corrosive one way or another.
    now, i dont know about easy off, but the stuff i use(and i dont know the name, but it was for comercial kitchens) would eat the paint off anything the vapors got on.
    Grant

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, just to prove a point, I've got a few old D44 carrier bearings. I'll go buy a can of easy off, fill up a jar with enuff of it to cover a bearing, and let it soak over night. Be willing to bet it doesn't hurt it in the least. Maybe I'll throw an old pinion seal in there too. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Toss a piece of rubber in too, I'm curious is if it eats the rubber up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Toss a piece of rubber in too, I'm curious is if it eats the rubber up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what the seal is for. It has rubberon it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm interested to see what it will do to those things also. i know what it will do to aluminum rims(my brother in law used it on my wifes van rim and trashed them). for removing glue from trim on fenders and such,i used a weaker kind called quick stuff oven sray cleaner that and a little scrubbing with a plastic scratch pad,the stuff came right off. it doesn't even burn your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. groovy75

groovy75 1/2 ton status

How did the experiment go???

16. Fordum

Fordum 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The fumes killed everybody. Thats why they never posted the results..........:D

17. groovy75

groovy75 1/2 ton status

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we've used it for taking paint boat names off the back for decades... mild paint remover.. nasty fumes.. works awesome for heavy degreasing.. keep it away from seals, etc...

19. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

One side effect is memory loss why the no update on this thread. It was in the dead zone!

20. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

just an fyi, this stuff works great on galvanized steel, it will remove most of it, no more fumes when welding.