Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy one--Change slip yoke 205 to a fixed yoke??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OL14BLAZ, Jul 24, 2003.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just like the title--how hard is it to change a slip yoke NP205 to a fixed yoke output?

Thanks,

Eric

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's easy, everything is a direct swap. The only thing you have to worry about is a set of needle bearings in the forward end of the tailshaft.

Are you doing this in the truck or out?

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Are you doing this in the truck or out?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be done out of the truck. What would I need as far as parts go??

Eric

4. nvrenuf

You'll need the tailshaft, aluminum seal retainer, yoke and nut hardware (of course, gaskets, seal and good bearings).

When I did mine I had the t-case on a bench with the rear output hanging over the edge (pointed towards the floor). The inboard end of the tailshaft is female and it has 2 rows of needle bearings in it, with it pointed down you can unbolt the steel collar from the t-case body and remove it without the bearings spilling.

When you go to reinstall the short tailshaft just pack the needle bearings in grease and they will stay in place. Don't forget to make sure and put the speedo gear on the new shaft before installation (if needed).

The swap is really super easy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Someone here had a nice 205 article on their site with a lot of pictures, I'll see if I can find it.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Thanks a million, I'm looking at buying one with the slip yoke and I wanted to know how hard it would be to change one over. Doesn't sound hard at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

6. nvrenuf

No, it's not bad. I may have over simplified it here but once you dig into it you'll see it's all mostly big parts that you can't mess up.

I did find a couple of articles you might want to browse over;

Leadfoot article

Bulldogs-house article - look at steps 68 - 79

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just to help out, Some output shafts have the speedo gear lined up with the housing bolt, so you have to put it on AFTER you bolt the tailhousing to the 205... THen drop the speedo gear in and then put the speedo nut in place, Too simple! Done two, it's really Easy... Hardest part is finding the donor tailhousing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys this will come in handy very soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric