Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easy outs suck....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by o2bjimmy, Oct 14, 2003.

1. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Are they using sub-par japanese metal to make easy-outs these days??? Also, whoever owned my Blazer before me had to have been a real idiot. Heres the story. Today the bottom bolt on my alternator broke and spun upside down ruining my ground cable. Got a new ground cable and just happened to have another bolt just like it. So I go to change it... and realize there is no spacer bracket on my alternator. My guess is whoever went to buy the new alternator didnt take off the bracket and turned it in with the core then later noticed his mistake and used only the bolt. Anyway i had a spare bracket too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but while trying to get the broken bolt out i busted off an easyout... I got a spare head also probably need to change that but what you all think i shall do?

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well don't this about suck. I've drilled out easy outs before. It's a tedious process as you can't just pick a big drill bit and have at it but it can be done. What would make the process a lot easier I think would be a 90 degree drill. Anywho that's pretty much my .02 worth. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Find a nice sharp prick punch. Use it and a hammer to chase the easy-out back out. IE: put the prick punch on an angle and use it to twist the easy-out back out of the hole. It's a chore but it's far easier than trying to drill it out.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well you made it farther then me... I broke off a bolt in my rear end yoke I was drilling it out with a little bit and broke it off inside though ohh its a cheap bit Ill just drill it out too went and got a cobalt bit and it dident touch it.... but you MIGHT be able to drill yours out with a bigger size

5. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

i do this all the time (it's my job)

1) If you can't back it out with a prick punch, use that prick punch to beat the hell outta it (it feels good too).

2) try digging the chunks out with a scribber.

3) If you got all the chunks out drill deeper! then use
    easy out.

4) if not then you may try to drill a slighty larger hole as deep as you can before the easyout breaks the bit, and try punching again!

If you don't want to use an easy out (or they are all broken) and your drilling is bang on, try drilling to the TDS and just picking the remainder out with the scribber.
    we used to use the shitty easy outs with a really open thread, but they are not so good. I only ever go till i get nervous then drill deeper. (so more meat gets in the hole)

now we have ones that look like a reversed threaded tapered bolt! They are MUCH better! I go to nervous plus a 1/4 turn on them.

Good luck!

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

You could get a low mount kit. Or make a plate out of 1/2 inch steel bolt it to the other 2 holes and weld a nut to it then cut down your spacer.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I had this problem a while back when replacing the steering limiters in my D60 knucks. Bolt was pretty rusted in, so it twisted off right flush with the knuckle surface. Drilled a hole and try the ease-out... SNAP! Flush with the top of the bolt. Next I took the M175 and welded the ease-out piece to the bolt making one solid mass, then piled on the wire to build a blob on the top. Let it cool and then ground two flat sides on the blob and used a big pair of vice grips. The intense localized heat of welding freed the bolt and it backed out easily.

8. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

I thought about puting a washer over the bolt, filling it with weld, weld nut on washer etc but the bolt broke off 1/4 - 1/3 inside the head. Also thought about welding a threaded pipe fitting or something directly to the head and just bolt the alterator to that. Im just not sure if that would work. Im not working friday so Ill be able to try some of these ideas out... keep em coming
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    james

9. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

do you have ac ?? if not then just move the alternater to the driversside
    or get a basically free upgrade go to late model serp set up
    turn your lemon into lemonaid and drink up :-)
    R

10. 1) Unbolt head
    2) Do any necessary head work
    3) Bolt new head on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

had AC at one time but its all gone now

12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

E-Z outs are great for their applications.
    If the bolt is broke off they work very good.
    However, if it is cross-threaded/loc-tited or bottomed out then an e-z out will generally not cut it.

I work on large machinery(two story tall forging presses) and we use e-z outs often. When they break use carbide drills or even end mills. Now when the carbide breaks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

Actually the carbide isn't that bad, it shatters fairly easy. My guess is that bolt is bottomed out since the spacer was missing.

13. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im guessing it was bottomed out also. I ended up making a new bracket. It looks way too cool to just be holding up an alternator /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Call me a butcher if you will,but I burn broken e-z outs out with the torch--they burn faster than cast iron,and they turn into sparklers pretty fast--just get them red hot,hit the oxogen trigger and be carful of your eyes! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Works for me 95 percent of the time!--The other five percent--well,you CANT fix everything! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

That happened with one of my starter bolts once. It's a bitch working upside down on those, be glad you are topside /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I used a Dremel tool with a couple of diamond tipped bits and ground a starter hole in the easy out. Then I drilled a hole in the easy out until I dulled my bit. Then, I used the diamond bits to grind out the metal around the easy out and it finally came out. The best easy outs IMHO are the square ones not the twisted ones. I have never broken a square one. I have broken 3 twisted ones. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif