Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easy q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jan 15, 2005.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

1)i've got a vibration in my steering wheel.very slight,just started a couple weeks ago.since i got the d/s.i've never felt a d/s vibration so i'm not sure if that's what it is.i doubt it since it's fresh length/weld/bal.seems like a d/s vibration would be more harsh than a slight buzz in the wheel,though.all tires are at 33psi.no handling quirks to suggest worn steering components.the tires are an aggressive tread design with about 10-12000 miles if that.would they be worn enough to give that little vibration.they're a year old now and have had little to no road noise.any ideas?? 2)e-brock carb tuning:500cfm(choking a fresh 350ci?)electric choke.i forget the rich/lean mixture:in=rich/out=lean OR in=lean/out=rich?i also forgot the other q's that i was going to ask. thanks!!

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

need more info

what do you meen by d/s ? is that driveshaft and if so frt or rear?:confused:

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

rear driveshaft.swapped out 700r4/208 in favor of465/205 and had to lengthen the rear shaft from 64in.to 67in.(installed length)so it's a new shaft with new spicer u-joints.

4. sweetk30

vibe info

a good rule of thumb is steering wheel vibs are in the frt. fell in the seat vibs are in the back. and if the drive line guy isnt to bright he may have bilt the shaft wrong. i hade to have 1 made and it was about 2" away from becoming a 2 piece shaft setup. if the tube is to long it is like a rubber band at high speeds. it tends to bounce. the max length is dependint on tube dia , wall thickness, and drive line angles. i would check over these few things to be sure. and when was the last time you checked frt end parts for slop . dont forget to check ball jouints with the tire off the ground and put a long pry bar under the tire and lift up and see if there is any slop, this is vary important in i.f.s frt ends. p.s. is your truck lifted or not , couldent tell from your profile info. if so possible u joint angle problems.

5. sweetk30

the front shaft

i forgot to ask about the frt shaft length ? what is it ? it may be to long and binding together:confused:

6. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

the truck is stock height.rear shaft was lengthened 2.5in. by a reputable driveline shop.front axel shaft u-joints were replaced last summer(july)as well as all brake components front/rear.shocks also.tie-rods have been checked but not replaced(no excess slop.they are able to be twisted back and forth with a little effort.as far as i can tell(without a speed-o or tach)vibration is right around 55-60mph.note:after the axel swap last summer,the steering wheel isn't lined up with the wheels.the actual allignment is'nt off any(doesn't pull to one side or the other)and hasn't had any vibes until recently.come to think of it,it's been right around the week before christmas when i finished the trans.swap.what are your thoughts on swapping out the front d/s for a different one,since i had 4 different front shafts to work with.at least semi-different.all were d44/10bolt of different years;3 gm-type/1 spicer-type.what about the carb rich/lean adj. on e-brock carb.