Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easy stuff.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Oct 5, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

what would cause my truck to die?????? i know for one the batt is shot, but i can charge it up enough to get the truck to run for a while ,go down the road.Its like when i press the gas , the truck runs fine, but when i come to a stop, it wants to die. Could a bad batt be causing this??? or does it sound like the alt?? Btw i dont want to risk taking the truck to auto zone,should i take the batt and the alt down there?? have them both ckecked?? Duuu..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif or just the alt??

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i know for one the batt is shot,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then buy a new one You cheap fawker /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i thought i could save money by just repeatedly charging it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

BTW can you diagnose my problem??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can ask if they got any used batt. for sale
    sometimes they do down here and there only like15$ abatt i think

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ill do just that/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but could the batt be causing it to just cut out like that????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it could
    iknow if you take off the power cable while runnin it will die and ive had a bat. so dead it killed my truck everytime i turned on the head lights

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it could
    iknow if you take off the power cable while runnin it will die and ive had a bat. so dead it killed my truck everytime i turned on the head lights

[/ QUOTE ] i was told just the opposite, i was told you should be able to remove the cables and the truck should still run /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it could

[/ QUOTE ] i was told just the opposite, i was told you should be able to remove the cables and the truck should still run /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but you'll fry the alternator in the process, and it'll die shortly thereafter.

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it could

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but you'll fry the alternator in the process, and it'll die shortly thereafter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to pull the positive cable off and the engine will keep running. If your alt is bad it will die.
    I have had a problem similar to this his before, if when you come to a stop and keep enough pressure on the gas will it stay running?
    If so you could have a bad fuel filter.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

thats exactly whats going on, please tell /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Why not just check the voltage output at the alt and voltage at the battery??

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont know if the battery could cause that,but with EFI maybe they are more sensitive to low voltage than a carbed rig--it might be the fuel has some water in it,around here this time of year the gas stations are switching to the "winter blend"of gas,and I've noticed both some water in my gas I've bought for my mower in the gas can(and I know it wasnt already in there!)and also noticed my rucks have started "pinging"after a fill up there.I put some Shell higher octane gas in one and it stopped pinging,without touching the timing or anything else.My other truck doesnt get used often,so it has a pretty good water build up in the tank--I have to let it warm up for 10 minites before it will pull away without wanting to crap out,and have to hold the gas pedal at fast idle to keep it running at stop signs--adding 4 bottles of isopropanol dry gas made a huge difference in the way it ran--maybe you should do a "piss test" on your gas,and see if its got any water in it,or just toss in a few bottles of dry gas(use only isopropanol in EFI)and see if its any better.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You should be able to pull the positive cable off and the engine will keep running. If your alt is bad it will die.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if it's not bad, this is a very good way to MAKE it bad.

Check output with a multimeter. Why anyone would test any other way is beyond me. Not having a multimeter is not an excuse.

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

its completely amazing the severe symtoms the blazer through out on just a dead batt........now i put a new one in and it runs killer. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif and for those of you who diddnt know,dyeager is the man /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif its amazing how stumped everyone was on just a DEAD BATTERY!!!! Bwahahaa /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif wake up guys /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

JUST for the record, this little pulling off the battery cables while running fix(wich i diddnt do)was told if you have a computer it can DESTROY the computer completely, among other things,(suprizingly i was told this by the kragen guy lol)......so dont do it!!! YOUL ^%$#$ YOUR TRUCK UP DOING THAT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's not EFI, his is an 85 and is still carbed.

Good to hear it is running again Jake.

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

STFU /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Yeah its running bitch!!! i got the heavy duty trans too , its only a matter of time before i unleash the picks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BTW these things break down so much, id be better off with a horse and buggy /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif