Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy trail selection for BB06

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by CK5, Sep 2, 2006.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, sorry I have not been around a lot, took a contract job downtown until Nov 30 so have been very busy.

We need to pick some easy trails for the bone stock guys, since breakage would be almost non-existent the trail leaders, tail gunners etc. could be more loosly defined. Would like to have more than one or two rigs per trail in case of mech problems, flat tires etc..

So post up what days etc. you guys would like so we can come up with some trails.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here are 4 suggested by mrk5 (Scott). I've never been to Moab but I trust his judgement. If we have a shortage of volunteers then I can lead or take up the rear at your peril. :D I'm sure the Bash noobs can muddle our way through it with some advice from the veterans. The sooner the groups are organized the better. That way some extra precautions can be taken for the less experienced.

Fins-n-Things: http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=349

Porcupine Rim: http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=356

Gold Bar Rim: http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=211

Hell's Revenge: http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=210

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We're gonna be there for the duration. Having said that, we're open to just about anything.

I can take some pictures to show we're not afraid of body damage.:haha:

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm not sure what you are looking for in an "easy" trail but Gold Bar Rim and to a lesser extent Hell's Revenge might not be on the easiest side of the spectrum. I have led stock vehicles through both of those trails (pathfinder, Land Rover, cherokee, etc) but some might think those trails are more towards medium difficulty.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If some of the Vets can throw in their recommendations, especially if you've been there already.

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    There's some pretty tough concrete curbs near City Market to play on and if anyone breaks, Carquest is just across the street.
    Sorry, I had to do it.
    Really, if anyone is coming out to BB, they need to expect to test their trucks to some extent. I have taken MANY newbies with sweet trucks on several of the so called Medium trails without so much as a scratch so it can be done and everyone always had a good time. No one will just want to do dirt roads so it's all a matter of who's watching out for them and getting them cleanly through any obstical. Gold Bar is always fun for newbies and so are many more trails. Remember, no one is driving all the way out to Moab to test the curbs with their trucks. Put some trails out there and we can tell everyone all about them. I've done many of them with open 10 bolts and never broke. Stockers, speak up! What do you want to do?
    What do you think?
    I'm willing to give up a horecore day to help out.
    I'll even give up Prichet if needed :eek1: :yikes: (well, maybe :ignore: )
    See, I do care that everyone has fun and I've lead many times over the past years so other ...cough... big boys could go have fun, not that all of us didn't. So if no one that really knows the trails is willing to step up, I will.

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I agree with you and as I said previously, I have led a few stock vehicles up those trails. I am just trying to keep people from getting in over thier heads. I think it is better to overstate rather than understate a trail's difficulty. I would imagine a stock K5 would be able to run both Hell's Revenge and Gold Bar Rim without too much concern for damage or breakage. Someone with a cherry rig that didn't want a scratch on it would be best to avoid these two, IMO.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well here is a question:
    I have always had my built K5 so I never thought about this dilemma but now I am in a stock K5 but with a twist, I have the Chalet camper on it too so high center of gravity.
    I have worked my way up from stock 2wd trucks and vans to modified K5 so I still know how to stretch the limits of a stock vehicle, but are there some nice trails that don't have too much off camber spots?
    I really would like to wheel it but if it's going to tip over I don't need that, I will be with my wife and 9 month old baby.
    :D
    I want to start over with this thing and start building after each trip to get to a point where I can go places with the family without worrying too much about obstacles.
    :rolleyes:

9. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am game for it all. I am always concerned about breakege because we don't have a lot of money no we have no money, and every member of my family thinks im an idiot for wheelin except my wife and daughter, But I say all that to say we wheel pretty hard anyway. God has always takin great care of us. I say we are testing out the Lords truck anywho. So we are pretty much game for anything. We are just excited about the BB experiance so even if I have to sit on the side and film and watch I am there, but I plan to have a kick in the pants time too. Can't I do Golden Crack Open on ten bolts, I've seen some opens do it before. I'm sure I could.

10. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

we should find each other and stick together, I am sure I willl try to do some of the more harrier stuff but our wives could get to know each other and I would be willing to go on some smaller stuff with you; let the wife have some wheel time.

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I will probably stay toward the easier side of things, just to keep the truck kind of shiny. I will be coming into town of Friday and thought maybe I would run around town, get camp set up and maybe go to Potato Salad Hill and see if anybody was playing around on it.

Run an easier trail Saturday to get my feet wet again and then maybe step it up a little on Sunday and probably be around Monday as well.

Somebody has to be the biggest truck in the group.

That way you won't see me try to jump out of the truck because I am getting tippy only to realize the 5 point harnesses won't let me!!!:o

12. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If I had to guess, I'd guess the people wanting easy trails don't know what they want to ride on. (like me) I'd be happy with a recommendation from someone who knows a little and give it a try when I get there. I'm game for whatever the plan is.

13. CK5

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, just took a contract job so haven't had much time, I will dig out my Moab books tonight and see what I can come up with, it covers a lot of the easier trails.

14. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

Fins n things is a fun trail, not to hard but plunty of inclines an places to challenge yourself if you want. Every year for easter I take a group of my friends on this trail and everyone has fun. There are some spots that look pretty hairy for less built rigs but I have seen stock ford rangers do this trail without problems.
    Its also pretty close to town and easy to find.People who like the slick rock will have fun on this trail because 3/4 of it is on slick rock.

15. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

I think I can do that, as long as its not on the same day as the pritchett run cause I want to hit that one for sure.

16. CK5

OK, so fins for one of the days? We are going to run Pritchett on both Sat and Sunday so what day works best for you?

17. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

Doing pritchett on saturday will work best for me.

18. CK5

So fins on Sunday?

19. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

Sure, Im hoping to do bfe on friday (dont know much about it but Ive seen some guys hit upper helldarado when there used to be such a thing).Then pritchett on sat, and help with fins on sun. If this will work into the plans

20. CK5

Cool, any ideas on a good place to meet for fins?