Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy U-joint fix? **PICS**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MattG88, Jan 5, 2006.

1. MattG88

MattG88 Newbie

Hey everyone. I own an 88 K5 with a 3" Superlift and 33's. Tonight on my way home from work, my driveshaft decided it wanted to touch the ground. I've never broke/fixed a U-joint before so I was wondering if I could get some opinions if this will be an easy fix. Hopefully I can get some help. Let me know what you think. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

Yep that is a easy fix just a broke ujoint take the c clips out on the driveshaft get ya a socket bigger than the cap size set the shaft on it and bang away from there you should be able to see what is going on

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Thats not Carnage! thats just a broke U-joint, I always use a soket anda hammer , a vice works too, just press out the old one and press in the new one, even a new guy like yourself should be able to figure it out in under an hour!:D your in the right place for the chevy that ails you!

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you're gonna have to get a torch for that one. looks to be the stock u joint which GM used a plastic injected in a groove to hold the caps. the new joint will use snap rings which are tons easier to change. I'v used the same socket technic listed above.

5. MattG88

MattG88 Newbie

Thanks for your help guys. Thats all I figured I needed to do. But with me new to the truck world, I just wanted to be 100% sure. What exactly are those caps called so I dont look like a total newbie when I go to AutoZone to get new ones? Just 1U-Joing caps?

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You buy the whole joint, not just the caps. Buy a manual while you are there, too. Trust me, you'll need it sooner or later. I used to always do the hammer and socket method, but after doing an axle shaft joint or two I became a beliver in using a vise or Very Large c-clamp. Also check your front yoke coming out of the x-fer case for damage.

Next time change when it starts making that noise (before it breaks)

7. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

If your changing one, I'd buy the front and rear joint and replace both. It will save you the trouble in a few weeks. Oh and buy the brute force or anything with a lifetime warrenty. Cheap ones tend to break a year later.

Oh yea as said above its an easy 20 minute fix. A hammer a punch and a large socket are all you need.

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Also,be careful with the needle bearings,don't want them falling over inside the cap.:D

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'd buy new u-joint straps while you're at it too! Looks like it spit out a cap and the joint came out. So your u-joint straps may be worn or out of whack.. Plus they are expensive.

10. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

U have a grease gun? Gotta lube those U-Joints. Get the best ones u can buy. I buy mine from a local truck parts shop. They cary Dana Spicer joints while auto parts store had crappy Precision brand. I use a press to do my U-Joints. Hammering out U-joints is fine but hammering in can cause some problems if you get over-zealous.