Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy way to get to your tranny cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I must be having a heckof a day, I bought a 10,000 tranny cooler (stacked plate). Wanted to add it into my truck, but of course, couldnt find a nice way to put it in. The bottom is stuck, because the bumper support, and I have a boxed section in the front as a frame brace. I tried removing the 5 screws on the top part of the grill, that gave it some play, but Im sure there is some other screws somewhere.

Did I mention I have a winch mounted to the front too?

So, suggestions?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Doe's it have a.c? If not, weld two long strap's of steel flatbar, [3/16"x1 1/4"] from top of rad. support, to bottom of rad. support. Then hang the cooler off of that.

Of course measure first, calculate, drill hole's for mounting before You burn it on. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used 1" x 0.062" strap and self tapping 1/4" bolts to from mounting arms on the front of the core support and suspend it in the center of the opening.

As for the grill, IIRC, there are 3-4(?) screws along the lower edge behind the bumper trim piece. I don't recall any on the side behind the headlight doors...

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

doh, I do have AC, and on top of that, have a custom bumper which I think doesnt let me get to the bottom bolts. I wonder if I remove the top radiator support , if the AC condenser pulls forward.

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine (complete with a 12" fan) in front of the AC condeser using 1/8x2x 14"(?) flat stock on the passenger side of the support. All I had to do was to remove the grill. Give me an addy to send it to and I can e-mail you the article that I wrote on how to do it. Be warned though, with the pics it's over 10megs.