Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy way to remove a rear axle... *PICS*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Nov 24, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I sold the 14 bolt from this truck and needed an easy way to remove it... and this is the best I could think of. Now, my next trick is trying to figure out how to load it on the scrap trailer... :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Genius!!!!!!!!!!quick Someone Grab That Guy A Beer!!!!!!!!!

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I just looked at these in the photo gallery and was wondering what was going on. Glad to see you were careful not to damage the sheetmetal as you did it too.

So, you're going to part out the rest of it? It being a C20, that's about the only thing it's good for now. The cab, doors, front clip and fenders look real good and could be re-used on another rig.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can just imagine your thoughts as you saw the pics in the gallery... "wtf is this moron doing?" :haha:

The truck looks better in the pics than it really is, and not much is really worth saving.

Edit: I do plan to salvage the fancy hood ornament ;)

:D

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've seen a truck lookin pretty much just like that when it was on it's side. Course it was on fire the roof was all taco'd down and I was standin aways down the freeway. :(

That just seems like a lifetime ago. :confused:

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was just gonna say -- Too bad you damaged some of that sheet metal =/ Looks pretty nice compared to the stuff I started with!

When I pulled the diff outta my 76, I jacked the rear end up with a hi-lift jack, then stacked a whole bunch of wood on either side of the truck under the frame, let the truck down on it, then removed the tires, took the driveshaft / brake line off, then cut the u-bolts and shock bolts. Diff dropped right down, I then used my truck to drag the diff out from underneith, and got a couple family members to help lift it into the box. Used the bobcat to pull it out and store it later.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I wish I had someone else working with me that day, but I was alone. I wanted to get in and buckle up while it rolled... just to see what it would be like.

:D

8. justhorsinaround

Don't remember. Woke up with someone yellin at me to get out as the truck was on fire. I was layin on the ground through the open/broken? passenger window while the truck was still on it's side.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm wondering how you managed to keep from caving the roof in when you gave it that one last tug while it was on it's side. You just gave it only a slight nudge, I'm guessing.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I didn't catch on earlier that you were talking about yourself in the roll over, it's a good thing you made it out! I've been in 2 roll overs so far, and they were about 21 hours apart. One was off-road in an S-10 going about 65 MPH (don't ask) and the other in a Dodge minivan in town going about 45 MPH. Neither one was very fun because it was in January and raining = very cold and sick.

11. justhorsinaround

Was the second time for me. First time was in a 63 Corvair Greenbrier. Was an equally stupid moment in my life. The one ton could've ended me though. You got the point I was layin on the ground i.e. no seatbelt.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, I pulled it almost to the breakover point with the truck and then pushed it by hand until it went over. It was a real slow kind of deal. I hooked the chain to the front of it to pull it out of the way, but the windsheild broke out and the cab roof was acting like a giant shovel scooping dirt into the yard. Now there's a "ditch" through the yard and I have a cab full of dirt... and my Dad was kinda mad for a while too (I do my work out at his house).

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It sounds like your lucky that you didn't get smashed. I didn't have on my seat belt either time either, and haven't worn any since until a couple months ago. I don't know why, but for some reason I decided to start wearing it.

14. justhorsinaround

In the Greenbrier I was wearin a seatbelt. Interesting sensation hangin upside down by your seatbelt. Word to the wise, remember you're upside down before releasing the seatbelt buckle. :crazy:

Yea in the one ton I'm pretty sure I was just thrown around until the truck came to rest. The sucky part was I was about a quarter mile from home.

15. Inu-Hanyou1776

I have ALWAYS worn my seatbelt, ever since I was 13. I don't even feel comfortable sitting in a vehicle's seats unless I have it on.

I've had my share of wrecks too, and countless close calls, but thankfully no rollovers. The worst wreck I've had was when I got hit in the passenger-side front fender once while pulling out of an intersection by somebody going 50 mph. I did three complete 360s, but walked away from it (other person did too), although later I felt like Oscar de La Hoya had belted me as hard he could in the ribs.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

while you have it upside down why not remove some spring hangers and cross members that people are always looking for?

Grant

18. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

So now you have an upside down truck sitting in your yard...?? :confused: Or did you flip it back over?

I've seen dudes do that kinda 'flip' work at this chop-shop place across the street from my house.

19. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

That method looks familiar. :D

:thumb:

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fun...

When I saw your pictures,I though "what a shame,looks like a decent truck"!--but its probably a lot worse than it appears in the photo's,as you said!

We took trucks apart that way at the junkyard often,especially if the body parts were rotted and worthless..having forks on a 1700 Trojan articulated shovel-dozer made quick work of it..we would lift the cab just under the rocker panels slightly,then drive the loader forward until the forks were wedged between the top of the frame rail,and the cab floor.

By lifting and tilting the forks,we could usually pop the cabs and beds right off the frame,without having to cut any bolts--usually the frame brackets were rusted nearly through where the rubber cushions sit,and the bolts would yank right thru easily..we even did a few school busses and big trucks the same way!.

We found it easier to chop out axles after it was a "rolling chassis"..it also made it easier for customers to pull their own parts,and they take less space to store than a fully intact truck..we'd pile all the sheet metal in another spot in the yard,so people could still get interior parts,etc..good doors and beds were removed carefully and stored away..but we didn't see many that were any good..very rare in theese parts!..

Nothing beats having heavy machinery to do all the "bull" work!..even a regular tractor with a loader bucket,backhoe,or even a bobcat is a Godsend when doing that sort of demolition..I see the scrapyards near me now are using big excavators,or "trackhoes" to remove the #1 steel frames from the body--they have big pincher jaws that grab a truck by the roof,and they just pick it up and shake it a few times,and the frame and drivetrain fall on the gound!..

They can cut the frames and steel beams up with those jaws too--I saw one cutting "I" beams an inch thick,and was at least a foot high! :eek1: --another similar machine with an electromagnet can pick up 10,000 lbs! :eek1: ...I'd like to be the guy running those things! :D :bow: