Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easy winch ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Aug 15, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i've got a winch bumper that just beggin for a winch. the question is i know i should get a 12,000 lbs but will a 9,500 work. i've seen a few used 9,500's out there but no 12,000 and $1,000 for a new 12,000 kinda steep. i'm not talken about pullen my rig up water falls or somethang like that, just a helping hand when needed.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah it'll work fine... consider how much your rig weighs to begin with. Besides if you want you can double the pulling weight if you get a snatch block... [​IMG]

C'mon captain brake pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Steph,
    It is so cool that you know about a snatch block and double line pulls, what a woman. It is just good to see that you have the knowlegde and liking. My daughter is growin up workin on my K5, and she already knows how to change oil (she can tell how to and what to do, although she doesn't have strenght to do it yet) She is only four. LOL.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

5. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I use the ol' tried and true M8274 and my rig weighs about 5500 lbs! Even though it's only rated at 8000 lbs, I would still put it on almost any truck because you can always double line it if you have to. The only other winches that would be better is the Ramsey RE series winches. For all out strength you can't beat a worm driven winch. The only problem is that they aren't real fast.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i used to have an 8k on mine. had no problem pulling my 74 blazer or my buddies 74 burbon. no snatch block.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

7. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

i belive thats what ihave one of the newer 8274 like 5 years old the still make them there pretty fast and strong as hell pulled 24 valve dodge ram long box ext. cab up a small incline in 3 feet of snow it stressed it but i did with out snatch it the biggest thing with a winch is geting the jucie to it

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm running a HS9500i and so far it has been able to pull whatever I have hooked up to. Last weekend I pulled this fullsize Heep Cherokee (like a 74 or something) Up a hill climb that he couldn't make it up. His rig was in nutrual and I pulled him up and over some good obsticals. Then his fan sliced his rad hose so he was done for the day.........
    WARN Rocks!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>