Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easy Wire Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stainlessrat, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Stainlessrat

Stainlessrat Newbie

Just need to see a wire diagram for the starter solenoid. I'm confused by the 3 wires, and where they hook up. 2 of them fit over the fat center post, but I know that's not right. Any helpful hints on how the solenoid gets hooked up for a new '83 K5 owner.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ok lemme try, I just crawled out from under my 83, on your selonoid there is a post at 11 and another at 2 o'clock. The battery cable and another set of two wires go on the 11 o'clock post and the other wire goes on the 2 o'clock position. The lugs on the wires correspond with the lug they fit on with my starter. The battery cable of course can only go one place, the other set of wires has a large lug and the last wire can only fit on the 2 oclock position. Lemme know if this helps.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Your solenoid is also used as a common mounting point for some of your accessories, not just the power the starter needs. If you have a factory alternator, then the one of the two wires on the larger stud is your battery. The other wire probably splits via a fuseable (sp?) link not far from the starter. This should be about 10 guage wire or so. Of the two split wires, one goes to your fuse panel while the other goes to a connector on your firewall that supplies power to your headligths and other stuff (heatr blower and so forth). The smaller wire on the other stud connects to the ignition switch mechanism. Short a wire driectly between this post and the battery if you ever want to bump the starter from underneath.

If you have an aftermarket HD alternator, you will probably have a third wire on the larger stud. That will go directly to the alternator.

Any more questions, let us know!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. Stainlessrat

Stainlessrat Newbie

Yup, thanks for the help. I got the starter/ solenoid problem taken care of... now I'm having some kind of problem with the glow plugs, but I'll post that as a seperate question. Thanks again.
    Stainlessrat

5. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

A good idea is to pick up a hayes or chilton manual. It has all the wiring diagrams and repair situations in detail. Very helpful.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.