Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eating starters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by allenj, Apr 18, 2001.

1. allenj

allenj Registered Member

I have a 78 K5 with a 350 matched to a muchie 4 spd. I have gone through 5 starters of various manufactures and 2 ring gears. I have even had a shop install one set and they last about 3 mnths before they start to grind. tried differant shims, gearing combos later model starters, new starter bolts, but to no availe, no one seems to have heard of anything like this. if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

Allen

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've had some starter problems in the past (nothing like yours) but they all went away when I went with a genuine AC Delco starter. Have all your starters been aftermarket ones??

[​IMG]

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested to hear what's causing it, mine has a similar problem with grinding. It seems that if I clutch it a few times it helps.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

4. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Try this it worked for me. Instead of shimming the starter get a flat file and file the starter cone. You want a file that is long enough to file the entire face of the starter. File across the starter where the bolt holes are. File right over them. A LITTLE AT A TIME. The metal is soft and alot comes off. Make 5-6 passes and put it in and try it if it still grinds take it out add 1 shim and try that if it grinds worse then take starter and shim out and file some more. Repeat process until grinding goes away. Look at it this way if you grind off a little too much just add a shim. Once you have it perfect never buy a rebuild from a store.Take yours in and have a shop rebuild that one cause it's already matched to your block.

[​IMG]

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Goose is right, it's pretty common knowledge that Chevy small blocks have recurring starter problems with non-Delco starters. My starter recently quit working on a Saturday, so I couldn't get a Delco from the dealer. I had no choice but to get a rebuilt starter. It was 1/3rd the cost of the Delco and has a lifetime guarantee, but I expect it to fail prematurely. When it does, I'll replace it with a Delco. I'll carry the replacement for the lifetime guaranteed rebuild as a spare when off-roading.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

6. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

hey allenj. wouldnt you know it. you sound like the only other person i know who has had this problem besides me. i went through about a dozen starters, shim, and flex plates in a matter of months. i even started rebuilding the starters myself. this all happened after one of my motor rebuilds. i also went through genuine ac/delco-gm starters so that didnt cure it. i got frustrated and shimmed just one end of the starter(the outboard side) to get the starter gear closer to the flex plate. the problem with that is that the one side needed to be shimmed alot(i used washers) so the grade 8 bolt would always break after a couple of weeks making it a tough time to get it out. i finally went with a powermaster mini torque starter. i cost a bit but for some resaon, the grinding just went away. the mini started is also adjustable. and you're right, if you ask anyone, no one has heard of this nor do they seems to know why this happens. i still never found out why it did it but the mini started lasted the life of the engine. in fact, i got rid of the motor and im still using the starter.

7. allenj

allenj Registered Member

Thanks, At present I'm trying the shaved idea, but will look into the mini starter, and yes i have even used a n ac delco, that was they first one to go after the original. I would have rebiult the original and used it but the nose cone cracked, and could not get one so I replaced it with an ac delco twice, they lasted the longest but went too.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by allenj on 04/19/01 10:51 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe it prudent if you are going to buy rebuilt starters (I never have had problems) that you SWAP THE ORIGINAL NOSE CONE. Since that is what governs the engagement of the starter to flexplate distance, why would you ever change it? With manufacturing tolerances being what they are, no two nose cones are going to be exactly the same when it comes to mounting.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>