Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eating tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Jul 18, 2005.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

Truck is coming along nicely but It seems to be destroying tires. After I get off the freeway there is rubber shreds on the tread like sunburnt skin peeling off. I had some old 35's on there and I took off 1/4" of tread going 400 miles, I thought it was cause they were old and rotted but after puting on some relatively new 37" mtr's same story :( . Any thoughts on why I am shredding my tires. It is mostly apparent in the rear also. pressure is 32 psi.

I also got some mad wobble in the front i think. What does driveline vibration feel like versus wheel out of balance or something. They should be alright, i just had them balanced and rebuilt outer ends and king pins on D60 before I put it in 3 or 4 months ago, but it gets pretty bad if you stay at a constant speed for a few minutes on the freeway...

thanks in advance

82 k5 14BFF(gov loc)/D60 th 350, 205

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

genaraly it seems driveline vibrations have a higher "frequency" then tire vibrations. if that makes any sense. What kind of rear axel do you have cause you could have a bent rear shaft. if its wearing exesivly in the rear tires. Also when was the last time you had it allignd. I would say get it alligned and get the tires rebalanced, and if it still does it its probalby got drive line issues

3. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I got a 14 bolt with the gov loc. I never got it aligned, I always heard to just set toe in, but I wil try to find a place that will align it around here, that should take a while...

I was thinking maybe my axles weren't lined up exactly straight, but i don't think its dog walking on me...

thanks