Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eating Up Distributor Caps and Rotors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rowdysr, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Rowdysr

Rowdysr Registered Member

I have had to replace 2 caps and rotors in 3 weeks! My check engine light comes on and it's code 42. I remove the cap and the carbon deal on the inside is totally worn off! The rotor has black all over the top. I have never encountered this problem before. Any info would be deeply appreciated! I changed to cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. I cleared to code and all is fine, but it was the first go round too. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is it possible that your distributor shaft endplay (think thats the right term) is really excessive? I'd imagine if it was allowed to "walk" up (the shaft, not the housing) it would force therotor into the cap...not sure if you could tell with the dist. in the motor, but try pulling up on the rotor fairly hard and see how much slop you have. I might even go so far as to pull it out and check play if you are having a problem like this, and someone doesn't come out and tell you another cause for this...

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm with dyeager. Sounds like the shaft is pushing up. I wonder if maybe it didn't engage properly on the oil pump and it's worn the bottom the housing allowing it to come up farther than normal. The concern is if it may have damaged the gear on the cam.
    I have a 85 ESC dristibutor, computer and harness for sale. It's practicly new distributor. Came off a 85 and I'm not sure if it will be interchangable with yours or not since you have FI. Make me an offer and it's yours if you need it.