Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 26, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright, I'm pretty clueless about Eatons. What axle splineage do they have? What size shafts? Locker options? The 9" like axle housing is intriguing, and this thread on Pirate sparked my interest a bit more.

[​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think they share the same shafts as a 14FF.

I do know they can use the exact same rear disc brackets/spacers as a 14FF, too.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah, that is all I knew of them.

The ease of trussing one and shaving one pretty well is what sparked my interest.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Pretty much uses all 14b stuff from the axle tubes out.
    What I really like about them is they only came in "lower" gear ratios, I think 4.10,4.56,5.13. Plus you can shave them for the same clearance as a D44 :eek1:

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

But if I had a unlimited budget, id build one of these bad boys :bow:
    SWEET

6. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i really like this axle but with all the people bitching about twisting the housing and the money he spent why wouldn't you use a fabbed housing like this or something similar? CompEng does custom so you could get one that built with thicker metal and shaved as much as possible.
    sorry to hijack
    dont have enough cash for that Mog/9, but i do know where theres an eaton..... :thinking: :thinking:

7. originalspanksta

originalspanksta 1/2 ton status

well ill try to answer your original questions.

Eaton HO52/HO72
    ring gear:10 1/8"
    pinion shaft diameter: 2"
    ratios:4.10, 4.57 and 5.14 (i think there are a few more)
    axle splineage:17spl
    shaft diameter:1.55" (i read that some shafts flare to 1.75 at the splines, but I cant confirm this..)
    Locker options: Some Eatons came with factory Detroits, these are becomeing exceedingly rare.
    inner hub bearings/races are interchangeable with 14ff's, outers are not.(I think)
    Drop out third makes for easy working....
    Lighter than a 14ff. more factory clearance, and shaveable for serious clearance gains (ie. better than a D44... :eek1: !)
    Easy to weld to housing, as it is not cast.

Upgrades: Swap out 14ff side gears and axles to get 30 splines. Subsequently with the 14FF Shaft swap the 14ff detroit drops right in. If you have hubs from a 71-72 eaton, a 14ff disc kit bolts right on. Earlier axles have smaller wheel lugs, whick make for a pain when swapping to discs.You already posted the link to the shave post on pirate.

Ive been doing homework on this, since i have secured an eaton ho72 from a 72 k20 for my build. :woot: :saweet: :woot: :saweet: If anyone has corrections or additions please feel free. :D

8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

some pics of a locker install in my eaton

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php3?t=165458

I bought my detroit for $250.

Mine has 9/16" studs(71), 1970 and earlier have 1/2" studs which need to be drilled out for 71 and up rotors. Also, the center section weighs about 150lbs v. about 90lbs for a ford 9".

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The H072 centersection that I have with 5.14 gears has a pinion load bolt to prevent gear deflection under load.
    They also have an unboltable pinion support like the 14 bolt.
    I have one with an OEM Detroit, but I plan on using 14 bolt shafts and Detroit in it. I believe there are some pics on my Yahoo pictures page if anyone is interested.
    edit: the link isn't there? I will try later at home
    edit2: ok the link is there now

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

those three ratios are what GM made for the 52's and 72's

then there was the 110 and above ones 6.13 ratios and deeper, but way bigger axle, optional for some of the c-30s and were under c-40 and up otherwise, 11,000lb and up

52 were 5200 and 72 were 7200

1947-72 years

i dont like the 4.57 h072 under the C-30 i have right now,
    ive had a few c-30s h072's i just dont like them, they liek to eat (pinion)bearings for one thing(my own experiences anyways).., and brake parts are $$$$$$$$$$

im gonna scrap this one and stick a 14 3.73 under :D
    will be hair wider and everything :D

14FF is the way to go, really

good luck

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

bring up old news since I know where an eaton is sitting. So if I understand, I can swap out the spiders for a Detroit Locker from a 14 bolt and use the 14 bolt shafts right?

I'm trying to figure it out because the Eaton I found is a DRW unit, so if I got it I would have to either use spacers or cut off the spindles from my 14 bolt, retube the Eaton, and use the 14 bolt shafts. My hope is the Eaton is already 5.13 gears(not sure), and that I could use the time to redo somethings I wish I did differently about my 4 link setup. And actually the 1/2" studs would be nice for me. My HP Dana 60 has 1/2" studs as it is.