Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton axles ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daimok, Feb 1, 2003.

1. daimok

daimok Registered Member

Whats the scoop on eaton axles ? I did a search and checked the axle id chart. Found very little info. I am looking at a offer to buy a rear for $200. its a eaton 1 ton with 4.56 that is under a blazer now. I did a google search and did find you could you could stuff some really low gears in them (7.11 ? ) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

is 4,56 gears with 35" tires and a 700r4 a streetable combo for you guys that run that combo ??

thanks
    daimok

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

streetable combo, and room to grow.

i believe the eatons are much older, pre-73. and have a drop out center section like a ford 9"...parts are going to be a problem to find, and i dont think they make front axles iirc....
    Ryan

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Pretty much what TorkDSR, and I'll add that they are pretty much indestructuble like there big brother the 14 bolt. Ran one in a tough truck for a season and never had a problem with it.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its a decent cheap axle... chance of a factory Detroit as well /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4.57 is the most common ratio. 10-1/8" ring gear. Possible ratios are 4.10, 4.57, 4.88, and 5.12. The 6.17 & 7.11 are for the larger 12" Eaton which was the optional 10,000lb rear on a 1-ton of the era.

There was a front axle based on it which was used in NAPCO conversions... Here's a '71 1-ton outfitted this way:
    http://www.ccountry.net/~tmobrien/trucks/napco/71napco/

5. daimok

daimok Registered Member

i ended up getting the eaton axle for $200 , it has 4.56 gears and its a monster. the pumpkin cover measures 12 inches in diameter , overall i would guess the pumpkin is 14 inches in diameter

a couple of questions ...

does anyone know how much play should there be when i turn the ujoint end back and forth , It has a good bit of play , i checked that amount with a few other 10 and 12 bolt rearends and it seemed about the same on those

this has a removeable 3rd section like a ford 9 inch , on the side is a adjusting bolt and retaining nut , does anyone have info on setting this ? i am sure this sets the pinion and ring clearance.
    pics

here is the blazer i yanked it from

thanks
    Daimok

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

That bolt and adjusting nut should be a ring gear deflection stop.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That bolt and adjusting nut should be a ring gear deflection stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If the pinion has a lot of play in it, say 1/8-1/4 of a turn, chances are it has a Detroit Locker in there!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

5.13 and deeper was reserved for R05 very optional dually converted 1 tons and were the 10,000lb H072 model axle,

and 6.17 was reserved for the very optional 11,000lb H110 model in the 1 tons

locking diffs were available in these are supposed to be very uncommon and there are very little parts available for these axles, and 4.57 was std equipment with 4.10 available, yes,

alot of the H052(3/4 ton) were coil spring rear, and all the H072 and up(1 ton and up) are leaf spring

they have a common problem of leaking out all the fluid and chewing up bearings- and overheating of course., so keep an eye on them

and yeah 72 was last year for these since 1947

good luck

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Also, if you are looking for one of these axles, the 1955-1959 series of Chevy trucks used these in 3/4 and 1 ton models. The 3/4 tonners used 12" brakes and 4.57 gears; while the 1 tonners used 14" brakes and 5.14 gears. There were no other ratios available for these model years/tonnages. You can find someone parting out one of these trucks and can usually buy one for $50-$100. I had three of them at one time and couldn't hardly give them away!!