Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton E-Locker for a D60?? Anybody got one??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

No, this isn't a "parts wanted" post..... I'm curious if anyone here has INSTALLED one in a front D60??? Looks like they're running at around $700 these days??

I like the idea of something selectable, but I've heard too many horror stories about faulty air lines and o-ring seals on the ARB to consider one of those. Plus, I don't have any onboard air and don't feel like dealing with that yet...

I'm not interested in a Detroit or welded-up front axle, so please don't bother responding if that's your only input to the thread. :D :deal:

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

barbastard.......:D

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen one in action. Works great as it's a true open diff when unlocked (rather than LSD) and then fully locked when actuated.

The only problem is I have been having trouble finding one. All sources are in the $700ish range, but all are on back order. I'm getting ready to install my axle next week, so I just went with the "Hobart" locker for now. I will probably install the e-locker in the future though as all I will have to worry about is backlash and carrier preload (pinion depth should not be affected when swapping out a carrier).

Sorry, can't help you out more than that other than it has withstood some heavy abuse in the truck I have seen it in (no airlines is nice too).

4. Greg72

Hmmmm...... I just assumed they'd been out for a while and availability was not an issue?

I'd like to get one installed by October (hint, hint) but there's no real urgency beyond that...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Greg, talk to Nate on the NCOR board. He has had one for the past few months. Got it from Trevor at WFO Concepts. Might also check with them to see if they have or can get them.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry to bring hit sup but I thought he E-Locker was a LSD when not locked? Or is that the Electrac? I like the idea of having a limited slip most of the time and a locker when you need it. Sounds like the perfect option for snow use to me.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have read about the faulty o-rings and was wondering if brass or copper would be a good replacement. id have to look at how the ARB works before i could say if it was possible though.

as for the e-locker the reviews i have read state its worth it. no personal exp though.
    Grant

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I could be wrong (have been before :D ).

I was told by a reputable driveline shop that the Detroit electrac was an LSD until activated and the Eaton E-locker was an open diff until locked.

I prefer the open diff as it allows a tighter turn radius and less scuffing. If I need extra traction, then I just hit the switch. It's like having the best of both worlds instead of comprimising. I wanted it for my pulling rig as many tracks extrances are narrow and require tight turns. Even in 2WD with the hubs locked it's a b***h to turn on hardpack. An open diff would help me greatly and I'm assuming those on "tight" winding trails would benefit from it as well.

If anybody finds out differently (about the open vs. LSD) please let us know ASAP.

9. Greg72

Leadfoot,

You and I have the same understanding:

Electrac = LSD / Locker
    E-Locker = Open / Locker

We share similar opinions on what should be up front also. With a soft suspension and 38s, I can do almost everything I want to already...every once in a while a locker up front would have been nice. Meanwhile, it's nice to be able to leave my hubs locked and still make sharp turns as needed.

10. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a link to this eaton locker . I think that would work for me but how would it handle 42" tires and a doubler ? What kind of warrenty do they have ?. I remember reading about last years ttc and the spec's on one of the rig's had a Mcnamara (sp?) locker . what's that ?? I too can go alot of places in 3 wheel drive but it would be nice to lock up the front whenever I wanted to and also not have to worry about the locker breaking . I know thing's do break but the longer it last the better . :D

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are E-Lockers really only $700? I haven't found an ARB RD35 for less than that... in fact, most of them are $700 + $50 for the solenoid.

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Back in December, I PM'ed PORC on pirate4x4 and got this response:

$649.99 plus shipping and two ready to ship!

For any question's or to place an order please call us toll free at 1-866-540-7672. Thanks, Alex
    www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

Keep in mind, this was back in Dec.

13. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Yep....Jason is correct. I've got an elocker in my rig. I LOVE it. Had a LS in my D44 before I upgraded to the 60 and this is so much better it’s not even comparable. I didn’t want to go with the electrac or an ox locker because they use a shift fork that attaches to the inside face of the cover. I personally think that that’s a weak design and is prone to failure. I didn’t want an ARB because there are too many parts between the locker and the compressor and when you figure in the cost of the compressor it just becomes WAY expensive. Not to mention you’ve got that damn airline hanging down. With the eaton all you have is a wire coming out of the diff going to a weatherproof relay and a switch….it’s very simple and very bulletproof. It’s completely quiet. The only way you know it’s on is by the switch light glowing and the massive amount of traction you’re getting in the front. You can engage and disengage it at any speed. I love it and would recommend it to anyone considering getting one….that is if you can find one. I got “lucky”. Oh…and you guys are correct….when disengaged the eaton acts like an open diff…yet another reason I wanted it. I think Jason can personally vouch for the lockers’ effectiveness and strength as he’s seen me abuse my rig before and the locker works fine…even with the doubler and the 39.5” IROK’s.

On a side note….this is the first time I’ve posted here in about 1.5 years. Man….site looks different. I used to come here all the time back in the day (2000 & 2001)…now it’s just the local club forum for me.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright, so I did a little more digging on the E-Locker.

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod1.htm
    http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/jeep/131_0409_lok/
    http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/eaton_elocker_preview/index.asp

The price has come down to $650 on most people's sites. Over a year ago they were floating around $850-900. PORC probably has them even cheaper if you PM them.

Now the only question is how strong are they. I wonder if they'll hold up to a full-throttle assault wheelstand in a rear axle? Is one going to blow up if a shaft breaks? I mean, for $650 or less... that means they're less than $200 more than a Detroit (~$465 right now for a 35 spline D60) and are selectable. I'm a firm believer that a spool/selectable is easier on shafts/joints because there is no ratcheting.

I'm kind of worried how fragile those pins are and how much it costs to fix when it breaks.

I think I got the same price quote about the same time. The prices of ARBs went up at the end of January and I haven't gotten a more recent quote.

15. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I know some may laugh, but anyone know if the elocker is available for a Dana44 or a 12bolt rear?

16. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm thinking I should drive down the road a little and grab one from the factory :) If only it was that easy :( but really the diff plant is about 10 miles from my house