Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton E-Locker......retrofitting the 14SF to a 14BFF???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm wondering how many parts are different between the carrier in the 14SF and the 14BFF..... I've been looking at the exploded view of the E-Locker and was wondering if the main problem was the spline count (33 spline on the SF vs. ?? on the 14BFF)....where there might be a way to substitute (or make fit with some machining) the correct splines.

I suspect that since the 14SF uses a 9.5" ring gear, the entire carrier is also smaller....so even getting it to work in a 10.5" 14BFF would mean a weaker carrier than what should be there....???

Anyway, I don't have enough mechanical/differential expertise to solve this one for myself, so I thought I'd throw it out for a little "Saturday morning CK5" consideration!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I would be certain the 9.5" ring gear carrier is smaller and weaker and almost pointless to consider.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The carriers are drastically different. The 14FF uses larger diameter shafts w/ 30-splines and 10.5 ring gear...not to mention that it is a two piece case. The 14SF uses smaller diameter 33-spline shafts and the 9.5" ring gear and is one piece.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The carriers are drastically different. The 14FF uses larger diameter shafts w/ 30-splines and 10.5 ring gear...not to mention that it is a two piece case. The 14SF uses smaller diameter 33-spline shafts and the 9.5" ring gear and is one piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.....

The lack of responses to this question was a sort of "answer in itself".... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif