Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton E Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by srscout, Nov 11, 2006.

1. srscout

srscout Registered Member

Hey Guys
    I am in the process of swaping an FF60 into the rear of my rig and have been considering a selectable locker. The E Locker seems like the way I want to go. But that is big $$$$ and I would hate to order one and end up sorry. So here is the question. Has anyone run the E in the past and not been happy with it? And you guys that are running them now are you happy and would you do it again?
    Thanks in advance.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I wouldn't particularly recommend spending money on a 30 spline FF60 locker. If it was me I would get a 35 spline detroit and new shafts. On second thought, I would just get a FF 14 bolt.

I have only heard good things about Eaton's e-locker.

3. srscout

srscout Registered Member

I am only running 35's (with no intention of going any bigger or it won't stay street legal) so I figured that 30 spline would be OK and if I decided that I didn't like it for this rig I could swap it into the rear 60 in my 79 F-250 mountain truck.

As far as the 60 vs 14 issue, I have access to several for free if I want them, but I already have the 60 and with 35's there is no strength issue here and the 60 has better clearance.

Same with the E locker but lately some of the guys here in Utah are tearing them up in crawlers. Eaton is replacing them with no questions asked, but it just makes me a little leary.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

To be honest I wouldn't spend the money on a rear axle selectable locker. Just get a Detroit and be done with it, they are not that bad on the road.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

They aren't that GOOD either..... :wink1:

If you really care about road manners, the Detroit is annoying. Getting in and out of the throttle on the highway causes it to lock and unlock which results in an annoying "sway" when you're just trying to drive in a straight line.

If you're in snow or ice, Detroit is a lousy choice too. Sure there are guys who do it and say it's "streetable".....but they may also be the people who say Boggers "are a pretty quiet highway tire" too... :haha:

The only person I know of running the e-Locker is Barbastard (Nate) in his front D60. He loves his..... (I plan to install one up front as well this Spring -> FWIW) The only way I can imagine breaking one is to try to engage the locker under full-throttle (or something equally knuckleheaded). I wouldn't use the "comp guys" as your reference either....most of those guys could break a crowbar in a sandbox!!!! :eek1:

:usaflag:

6. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

I have one of the first E-lockers out in the 8.8 in my Jeep. We got it as a test product when they were first released. It has been in my TJ for a few years now with 37s on steel beadlocks. We have had zero issues with it and it has seen some pretty serious use.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Boggers aren't noisey, I SAID...

You have obviously done your homework and know that an auto locker is not for you but I just wanted to say, I have run a Detroit on the street ice and snow, in both a Burb and Blazer. Unless you drive like an idiot you'll be fine. Easy throttle BOTH ways and you'll stay out of trouble.

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have never felt my detroit on the street with an auto....now with my 4 speed i felt it all the time. Maybe the reason is the diesel in the beast doesn't have enough balls to lock it up on the road.....

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Even when not gearing? Obviously while shifting, clutching, the locker wants to do it's thing.

10. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I run the E-Locker in my front dana 60 and love it. I have had absolutly zero problems with it. I just make sure that when I do engage it to be sure to crawl the tires slowly to give it a chace to lock before you hammer down. That should be the same for any selectable locker though. I also run a detroit in the rear with an auto trans and I never notice it at all on the street unless making a sharp turn on concrete then it will bark the tires a little but not noticeable on asphault though.