Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton Electric Locker?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Mar 2, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, in the april mag of 4wheel& offroad, theres an ariticle on a new eaton electric locker they're coming out with.
    Supposedly it's supposed to be better than an arb air locker because there are no seals to wear out over time and no compressor or air lines etc, you have to install.
    Just two wires come out of the diff, one for 12v B+ and the other for a ground up to a switch on the dash to activate it.

The first ones they are releasing are supposed to be for the cooperate 10, 12, and 14 (both 9.5" SF and 10.5" FF) bolt rearends.

I think I'll still go with a detroit for my 14 bolt when i build one up, because i'm happy with my detroit in my 12 bolt right now.

Anyone have any oppinions on this? Pro's/ Con's?

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear] <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo19>
    MY 1972 K/5</a>
    RyanB.

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have read about them a little bit, and they sound like a good idea to me, but what i dont understand is why no one make a mechanicly operated locker. Yes, it would probably require an entire new center section, but it could be done. Heck, the np203 even has a mechanicly operated differntial locker. If ya think about it, it would not be all that hard to make one.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ryan,

The E-Locker will be awesome in the snow and on ice.....your Detroit will NOT! [​IMG]

Actually, the only reason the e-Locker would be so good in those conditions is because you'd turn it OFF for better lateral control. Once your wheels start slipping with a Detroit.....your tail end is going to wag towards the lowest spot around.....and that's usually the ditch next to the road!!!

If you can hold out until this fall.....there will be some people with "real life" stories to tell about the e-Locker. That's the way I plan on going when the time comes......

By the way, there was another thread about this maybe 2 days ago. You could probably find other comments there...

See YA! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

The ox-locker is mechnically operated, but I think it's only available for dana axles right now.

87 V1500 305 TBI 208/465 4" 35"procomp mt Dana 44/12 bolt

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OX doesn't seem to be in a big rush to build one for the 14BFF.....it's too bad, because it looks like they make a quality product.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Yea, I know. Doesn't make much sense- there are so many people running a 14. Hopefully it's on the way. Those damn jeep guys seem the get everything first. Maybe that's the only way they can keep up!!

87 V1500 305 TBI 208/465 4" 35"procomp mt Dana 44/12 bolt

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

After reading the description of how it works and looking at the exploded diagram, I'm a bit concerned about how well this thing will hold up to abuse. Those 3 little steel balls and the ramps on the back of the ring that does the actual locking doesn't look like a very sturdy design. Even in "locked" mode, there's some slop when you change directions, during which the ramp has to run down, then back up and jam against the other end of the ramp. So rocking back and forth looks like it will really put some stress on that mechanism. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Probably fine for an OEM application, but it will be interesting to see how it likes 450+ lb/ft of torque and 38-inch + tires. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif