Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton Front End??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Nov 26, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

With a few recent post about 14 bolt front ends i started thinking, why not a eaton front end? You can shave it for my clearance than a 44, its got same detriot as a 14, and i dont see feasably what would make it any harder. these seem like a nice option for some. strong and a ton of clearance. any one got any ideas why this would/ wouldnt work?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Gm beat you to it..I think!

I think the early 4x4's in the late 50's GM trucks (Napco Conversion's) were a modified Eaton rear axle,with enclosed knukcle U-joints..not sure when they started using the dana 44 front ends (60-66??).. :crazy:

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I have a pic on my hard drive of a guy restoring a Napco frontend, which is an Eaton chunk with steering. It uses closed knuckles with kingpins, and the axleshafts are the coarse 17 spline with birfield type knuckle joints instead of ujoints. I would think that if you broke an axle in one of these, you'd be SOL in finding replacements.

Anyway, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Need to either pirate steering stuff from a D60 and see if it fits the axletube, or buy new stuff from Dedenbear. You could use an Eaton detroit or a 14 bolt detroit, and get custom inner shafts as needed. Would be alot of work, but you'd be unique. Thats for sure.