Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr GearHead, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Mr GearHead

Mr GearHead Registered Member

I am thinking of buying a Eaton Locker for my 12 bolt. I know the 10 bolt Gov-Lok can be a time bomb and have read here that the 14 bolt version is ok. I want to know if anyone has had experience with the 12 bolt version. I have 33" BFG'S and will be installing a 4.10 ring and pinion at the same time.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've run two gov-locks in 10 bolts, and neither has given me any problem. (of course after "fixing" what the PO had done to one of them) I doubt much if any strength difference exists between a 10 and 12 bolt gov-lock.

If you are hard on the truck, and spin those tires, I would almost guarantee you'd break the gov-lock. Now, if 95% of your driving is on the street, and the other 5% of your driving is during hunting or fishing trips, where you are taking it nice and slow, it will be fine. But spending money on a marginal part that *might* be stressed depending on how you alone drive the vehicle, would be a waste. If you are hard on it, I'd say a locker. Purely street, I'd say limited slip. But mostly sane street driving, with "easy" and slow off-roading, I'd say gov-lock. Be honest with yourself about your driving style when making this decision.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Actaully the new eatons are really nice.. they use a carbon fiber clutch and fully rebuildable and are 'posed to be alot more reliable.Thats what im gunna get whenver i get more money haha.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds
    Coming Soon: All springs, shocks, and body work

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

12 Bolt carrier is noticeably bigger than the 10 Bolt. I would say the 12 is stronger.

I have a unit that belonged to a friend with a 400HP 350 and 35x12.50"s. He didn't off road much, but was known to lay some rubber on the tarmac. It still lives.

5. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

When you say an Eaton Locker, are you refering to a locker, or a posi. I didnt know eaton made a locker. However, i just perchased an Eaton Posi for my 10 bolt 30 spline rear. (axle swaped from an '89) however, I cant tell you how it is to drive yet becuase the installation is not complete, and wont be for a few more days becuase of some fitment prob. with my frontend. I am going to be running it with 4.56 gears, and 33s, maybe 35s later. i can tell you that the Eaton posi will be a huge step up fromthe Gov-loc, i had a gov-lock in my old 28 spline 10 bolt. Let me tell ya, when they are close to they're experation date, they give you trouble on and off-raod. My gov-lock would fully lock on me after I drove at highway speeds for an extended period of time, and when I came off the exit ramp, it would grip and slip around turns. Kinda scary.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Like the other guy said the new Eaton limited-slip diff is totally different and better than the Gov-Lock they made. I've got one in my 12 bolt and have to say that I never notice it on the street unless I drop the clutch. Its great...I used to have a Detroit in a Jeep and it was annoying on the pavement. The Eaton seems pretty nice offroad too, but I haven't tested it that much yet.
    I have 4.10's and 33's too for what its worth.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Eaton still makes the gov-lock, as well as their "posi" unit, and they are still teasing executioner with the electric locker that I guess isn't being sold yet.

My understanding is that GM still uses the gov-lock in the new trucks.

As to 10 bolt/12 bolt differences, the carrier may be bigger, but as I think most hardcore folks here have realized, if you break a 10 bolt, you will break a 12 bolt. Don't spend money on something you will end up breaking, which is where accurately determining your driving habits comes into play.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?