Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton or Auburn Pro posi?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Feb 4, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I am going to be going to a 14B SF this summer and I am pretty sure that a gov-lock in one of those things is going to be gone, even if it is in good shape i will get rid of it...anyway I need to know the pros/cons on the Eaton and Auburn Pro posi's. I know the Eaton is rebuildable, and the Auburn is not. How important is that? A locker isn't really an option, most of my driving is on the street, and occasional mud. Should I look for an open rear end or a gov-locked one? Which one would be easier to put a posi in? Also, does the same PN work for the front and rear? Thanks

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90K5 on 02/04/01 05:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought Eaton makes the Gov-Lock. I had one of these stock in a 12 bolt and blew it up easily. I have heard and read very positive stuff about Auburn units.

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Here is what you need to keep in mind. Eaton made the Gov-Locks and yes the Gov-Locks suck, but that doesn't mean all Eaton LSD's do. They came out with a new, LSD that is completely unrelated to the Gov-Lock. That is what I went with in my rearend. A few years ago, 4x4 Power did a comparo between an open diff, and Eaton, and a Detroit in the 12 bolt of a Blazer. They did on and offroad tests. And they said they were very surprised about how well the Eaton performed. Not only is it rebuildable, but you can custom tailor its aggresiveness. The spring that engages it can be switched out for a stronger spring. Thats what I did with mine. I haven't been able to bash it and test its strength yet, but so far its been a great choice. I almost forget about it, it has such mild manners on pavement.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. RUT_RO

RUT_RO Registered Member

You may also want to check out a PowerTrax unit. We installed one in a friends chevy pickup last month.
    He does mostly street driving and likes it alot. The PowerTrax unit can be easily installed in an hour since
    you do not remove the ring gear. I am not sure how it would hold up under heavy off-road use. I think
    the cost was around $400.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I installed Power Trax Lock Right in a 10b rear once. Its still going today. Seemed like a good locker for that axle size. It costed me $300.00 from special order at Car Quest. Installation took about an hour using simple tools. I dont know how long that locker will last since I sold that truck to a local high school kid who drives like a bat out of hell. When and if he blows it up, I will let you guys know.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

For your question on which would be easier as far as which 14 bolt to look for, it doesn't matter. The Posi/LSD units replace the entire carrier. SO ifit s open or Gov-loc, it doesn't matter. Your gonna have to take the carrier out along with the ring gear. Setting up the new carrier with the old ring gear is not that hard. The only thing you have to do is set up the tooth pattern using the carrier bearing shims. Just keep the old ones and try using them first. Then check your tooth pattern, if it is off, then get yourself a shim kit and go from there. As far as the Auburn or Eaton, I like the Auburns but true, they are not rebuildable, but your using it mostly for street. So you shouldn't have any problems with it going out anytime soon. And it a bit cheaper than the Eaton LSD unit.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Are both of those LSDs available for the 14BSF? I thought that only lockers like the Detroit and the NoSlip were available, both for the 14FF and 14SF. If I'm wrong, where can we find these units?

<font color=blue>"Anytime you tie the Flyers, you are going to have a tight ball game." Buffalo captain Michael Peca</font color=blue>