Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eaton rear axel question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jul 13, 2005.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

long story short. finally moving to the new house. while i was towing the blazer rear passenger side hub bearings went out. the hub is shot and the bearings or whats left are obviously gone. turned it around put the front wheels on the ground to finish the trip.

how do i check the housing to see if its ok. I didnt see any cracks in it. i'm having a hard time getting the hub off. the wheel did move back and fourth about 2 inches. drove no more than 2 miles after an initial stop and inspection before i noticed the wheel flopping in the mirror.

I dont want to replace the hubs and bearings if the housing could be messed up.

on the subject anyone have some hubs close to louisiana?

thanks

69k5

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd take a vernier caliper and measure both spindles on the housing. If they don't match for size.... pretty good sign its toast.

To check for straightness... set up the bare housing on axle stands. Spin it around and have a buddy watch carefully from each end. If its bent you can see it wobble.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks. now wish me luck i just got the locker put in.