Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eaton rear end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jan 3, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

does anyone have a pic of an eaton rear end out of a 72 chevy? figured out this is what is under the truck im getting form the first gen board. i thought it looked kinda like a 9 inch but it was stuck to low in the mud to get a good see. the owner said the truck was all original.

also where can you find parts and how do you look up axel seals, bearings ect??? under chevrolet or eaton?? parts store is dumb as usual? anyone know where a schematic is on the web?

one last question anyone seen a kit for rear disc? i did a search on google and came uop with nada on all of the above questions

thanks a mil!

nathan

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

watch out, some one will try to sell you a "racing" ford 9" for "weight" reasons /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Yeah, an Eaton looks kind of like a big 9inch. Came in 3/4 72 trucks. I have read that gear selection is kind of limited, but you shouldn't have a problem with bearings and seals etc. if you go to a real parts store, not autozone. Otherwise a rear shop like Randys should could surely provide most any part. And a 14ff from a later model 1 ton is a bolt in almost, just move shock mounts. Far as I know, your on your own for the discs.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

For the rear discs try www.tsmmfg.com they look a little expensive but its a start. Maybe someone here can even make them if you can get them the specs.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the eaton is just under the donor truck and i will definatley not put a ford 9 inch in there when you drive this beast weight doesnt really matter anymore. whats it gonna do hurt the gas mileage? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. if i could come up with 125.00 i would just by the 14ff.

i am gonna check the tsm page listed above for brakes.

thanks for all the help.

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

according to tsm the disc brakes from a 14ff will fit an eaton from 64 - 72. i will just go with derbinator b/c hes cheaper.

thanks

nathan

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

An eaton in a 72 would have a removable rear cover that is round. I would pull it and check the gear ratio. Also a lot of them came from the factory with a detroit locker that has since been disconninued so finding a used one is the only option for those axles.

I take it the donor truck is 4x4? Otherwise it would be a coil spring suspension.

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

the Eaton 14FF book of knowledge is ck5 member "Don" in Spokane, pm him he is the eaton god /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

There is a chance it may have a factory (or dealer installed) Detroit No-spin (yes, locker) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Possible ratios are 4.10, 4.57, 4.88, and 5.12. Only ever pulled a 4.10 or 4.57 from a 3/4-ton.

Brake swapping on these old things is great. The hub is essentially matched to the housing, but you can use 13" drums and backing plates froma 14FF, or as already mentioned, the 14FF disc kits.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I can't wait to do this swap on mine!!
    The pictures have me all bothered now...........whew!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

kenny w

the donor truck is a 4wd. i was originally just going to get it for the front axel. then the guy said only the whole thing or no deal.

uglu chevy

thjanks i'll be dropping him a line.

u2slow

thanks for the pics thats exactly what it is. how do itell the gear count the teeth and divide?? there was no plate on it that said?

ntaj*ep

i'll let you know how mine goes

thanks

again to everyone.

nathan
    69K5