Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eaton rear ends

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nstarry, Feb 18, 2004.

1. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I ve got an eaton going in to my truck next week and I dont know much about them , I know its" stronger" then a 14 bolt and much bigger but not shure about parts I think i heard some where you could load one with 14 bolt parts but that kind of defeats the purpose I know they dont make lockers but how about shafts and bearings and such ??

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well really, i find the stregnth thing misleading. i have a 5000 lb eaton in my 72 and the shafts were small compared to a 14b. Parts are also hard as hell to come by and expensive. If i were you id stick with the 14 bolt.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

eatons were from 47 to 72 and under 20 series and 30 series gm trucks and were both trailing arm and leaf type suspension, but mainly installed with coil spring trailing arm type suspension,

h052 is 5200lb rating axle and h072 is 7200lb rating axle, 4.10, 4.57 std and 5.13 dually only were made for them and thats it for most all years. carriers are removeable type just liek 9" fords and you can swap betwene them for 20 and 30 series.

i would stick with 14 FF also, the eatons had problems wuith bearings alot and brake and other parts are very hard to find replacements of

and eaton are not much bigger if at all bigger than a corp eaton, 14 ff are 10.5" and i think eaton are 10.25" or they might be 10.75"

not any difference at all really and dana 60 i cant remember diameter of ring gear, i would rather go with a 60 than a eaton, parts for 60 are easy to get and bottom of housing to ground clearance is better with 60 anyways

cant beat a 14 FF all around, cheap, upgradable, virtually indestructible, no leaks problems, parts everywhere for them, stock and aftermarket both

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm dreading it if my Eaton in my 72 3/4 ton chevy breaks. It's been bulletproof so far, I don't drive it much, but when I do, it has to work hard. I believe you can get a detroit locker for it still. I don't know what's in mine, but the locker works extremely well, still, after 10+ years. I guess I should change the fluid for once and figure out what's inside.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i belive if you use the detroit for the 14 bolt, you can use the axle shafts from the 14 aswell.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

No complaints here with the Eaton in my 68. Big freaking axle. Didn't have a problem finding brakes for it at all, but haven't had to replace any other parts.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i belive if you use the detroit for the 14 bolt, you can use the axle shafts from the 14 aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true info above.

The Eaton rear also uses the same disc brake hardware, rotors, etc. as the 14FF does. Yep, you read that right!

The Eaton rear AFAIK, has a 12" or 12.5" ring gear diameter. Little bit large there. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

It's big, I know that. It looks bigger to me than a 14b. It looks closer to one of those 2.5 ton axles than a 14b.

9. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

so put this thing in and start saveing up good 14 bolt parts incase any thing goes wrong I can just swap it all, because it looks to me like that the eaton housing would be stronger( its big) and if I can use 14 bolt stuff why wont all the bearings be the same to?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I'm dreading it if my Eaton in my 72 3/4 ton chevy breaks. It's been bulletproof so far, I don't drive it much, but when I do, it has to work hard. I believe you can get a detroit locker for it still. I don't know what's in mine, but the locker works extremely well, still, after 10+ years. I guess I should change the fluid for once and figure out what's inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my helpful hint for you about Eatons:

You can change the fluid by unbolting the bottom few cover bolts.....all the theads are "through hole" style so the fluid will come right out without even removing the cover! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This is especially important if by some miracle your cover is nicely sealed and dry. I made the mistake of pulling my Eaton cover and using a factory gasket (with no RTV) and it leaked like a sieve.....then I tried sealing the thread areas with this teflon-liquid stuff, and that didn't help either. Finally, I chucked that stupid gasket and used that new gasket-in-a-can stuff from Permatex. Now it's dry as a bone! Only cost me 3 gallons of gear lube to learn my lesson!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i put my eaton under the blazer 2 weeks ago. i like it. it is big though aND HAS 4.57. i went with the disc brake conversion. it was cheaper than redoing the regular. sometimes you can find original lockers for them listed as "no spins" you can swap everything out for them with a 14 bolt and get the 30 whatever spline shafts instead of the 16 -17 they have. i cant remember anything today. do a search for my name and you will come across a lot of info especially in the first gen area. there is one post by hardcore that has a ton of links over on pirate 4x4. you can find under my name as well.

i used the eaton b/c its what i had and it bolted straight in. i also like it b/c its unique.

do a search here, pirate 4x4, and on 67-72chevytrucks.com and you will find a lot of info. search for Ho72 Ho52 eaton no spin or my name on all of the above and you will find tons of info.

69k5

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i forgot to say for bearings and such they are listed here by Don and over on 67-72 by me. go to napa.com and get the timken numbers they have and then go to a bearing store and get them cheaper. if you go to the store they have to look em up and are a pain. napa.com is quicker

good luck

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Dug up this one but have more questions. Which 14BFF axles fit I.E. SRW, DRW (dually or C&C). Also do the Eaton rears come in different widths in the SRW and C&C trucks?

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

14ff srw truck not van. when you do a search do it in the first gen forum, and there is a post about eatons with my name on it. hardcore had 4 or 5 links in it over to pirate. 2 of those were about exactly how to swap in the 14 stuff. i have dial up or id search it for you. if nothing else ill get it for you tommorow while im at work.

69k5

15. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

forgot to say I dont know about the c and c.

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The Cab and Chassis Eaton truck axles are narrower than the SRW versions. Something like 63" wms to wms. I think the SRW axle is 67" wms to wms.