Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaton Supercharger...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... So I have been wondering lately, how well would a little eaton M90 supercharger (Grand Prix GTP, Buick Regal GS - 3.8L V6) work on a small block chevy? I mean, change to a much smaller pulley (they run a 3.8" stock - so say 3" or 2.5") and bolt it in (not quite that easy I know). would it be too small? would it be worth the $500.00 to get one? (used)

Thoughts?

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

I think you're on the right track. Since the M90 has a smaller displacement, it would seem that redusing pulley size to increase output would be the right thing to do, but I bet you would just shorten it's little life (bearing failure). Buy it, try it as is, I know you'll "feel" it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The displacement of that supercharger is pretty small. You'll have to spin the bejeezus out of it to provide a decent level of boost for a 5.7 liter engine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think that the Ford Lightning pickups have a larger version of the Eaton, bolted to a 351. Something like that would work much better for you, but they certainly aren't as plentiful as the ones used on the 3.8's.

Another consideration is to look for one of the small blowers that B&M and Holley sell for small block applications. Used ones come up for sale from time to time and have the manifold base, brackets, etc. to make them bolt directly onto a small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They're small enough that they will probably fit under the hood of your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif