Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ebay for dummies..???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5 krawler 50, Nov 22, 2005.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Well i have found some stuff on ebay that i would like to buy but i dont really know how to use ebay. I know you have to bid, but what happens if you win, how do you pay? I know there are a lot of ck5ers who know how to use it so if some of you guys can help me out that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Cory

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Well if you haven't signed up yet do that first. When you bid on something, you can enter a amount that will be you max bid. Lets say you are bidding on a item that is 50 dollars. Say you enter a max bid of 75.00. Ebay will up to 75 dollars for you if you get out bid. So your at 50 and somebody else bids 52. Ebay will bid for you 53, and so on, up to your max bid. If somebody bids more than your max bid, you will have to enter a higher bid if you want to try to win.

Payments can depend on the seller. Can pay with paypal, checks, money orders, all depends on the seller. The majority perfer paypal. You can sign up for it free also and would recommend you do. Transfers money instant with a credit card or bank account. Its all pretty easy to setup, if you need some more help, ebay has a pretty good help section, or just post up. Good luck and happy bidding.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

But DON'T do that, it just means you're sucked into the auction psychology. Enter the max you're willing to pay for it once, the system will not go over that max, and if the bidding doesn't go that high (or you're the only bidder), ebay will automatically keep your bid at the lowest it can while keeping you as the high bidder. Basically it's an automateed "I have one dollar, do I hear 2 dollars, do I hear three dollars".

If you keep upping your max bid, it means you just don't want to be beat... Don't let that cost you money :wink1:

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Thats some good advice. Also depending on what I'm trying win, I'll research online and try to find out how much it would cost to buy it somewhere. No sense bid on something and paying a higher price than it normally costs. I've seen it happen a few times.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I also wait until the item has less than 24 hours until the end because a lot of times I change my mind and decide I really don't want the item. Once you bid, there is no turning back. I used to use snipers to bid for me, but I don't any more becasue I really don't like ebay as much as I once did.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Divorced is right - wait until you are absolutely sure. Once you bid, you are committed. Also, a sniper is a program set to bid in the last seconds of an auction.

7. k5 krawler 50

Awesome. thanks for all the helpful info. I'm just wondering but how do u set up a sniper..?? Can you set them up so they bid for you when your not online or how does that work? I think i am understanding this a little bit better. Just to clear up one more thing.. say i won something, does ebay send up a message and does the seller send u a message with info saying that i've won? Thanks again for all the help.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, a sniper is a seperate service that will bid for you even if you are off line. Usually they cost money, and if you have it set to bid for you but you change your mind and don't "cancell" the deal with your sniper, it will bid anyway. It would be best probably if you wait a while before trying a sniper service, and instead just place you max bid only once, usually on the last day. A lot of times, by the last day, the things I want will get bid higher than what I am willing to pay and I don't even have to bid.

Ebay will send you email notices when you win as long as you have your options set to do so. After you register, you will have a thing called "my ebay" that you can click and it will display all of the items on your watch list, items you are bidding on, items you lost, items you won, etc... Often the seller will send you an email also. Many sellers take paypal, which is how I like to pay, so right after the auction ends I will click the "Pay Now with Paypal" link and pay for the auction, usually before I even check any email. Be sure to read every word of the auction listing and check the sellers feedback. Some big sellers will have their own checkout system that you must use to pay for an item, but usually it will be very clear in the auction.

9. k5 krawler 50

Thanks for all the help and info.. i have ended up bidding on an item, so will see how this works out. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks
    Cory