Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ebay for guns???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Apr 14, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I did a Google search and found several auction blocks for guns that operate similar to ebay... Are any of them more reputable or better than any others?

I decided to let my 450hp Camaro Project wait until next spring and just do some minor upgrades this spring.

So some of that money has to get spent. I'm thinking of a Kimber Custom Stainless II. Of course I'll have to obsess over it for at least a month and watch what they're going for before I buy...

I've got a nice carry piece, now I need something good for the bedside that I can use for dual purpose home-defense/pistol-whipping... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, just to stir up some controversy, /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I ordered a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. I know many people think they're just a gimmic, but I read up on them and there is some real good data to support their usefulness. In my case, several days per week I can't see good enough to read, so aiming down conventional sights of any kind would be futile. At least a laser will give me a better chance than the ~Wild Wild West~ 'Point and Shoot'...

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW with the "wild west" style shooting, try going out somewhere you can do this...actually try point shooting at various distances on body targets. You can easily blow through a few hundred rounds doing double taps this way, but it is worth the practice. You'll probably be amazed at how "easy" it is to put two rounds into a target without really aiming.

Statistics IMO don't usually mean too much, but most shootings are at little more than arms length, and point shooting is easy at some distance over that. It's better to learn point shooting IMO than try to rely on something else.

Not saying the laser sights are a gimmick, just that I doubt you'll have much time to use them on a handgun in a real world situation. Very rarely outside of military/law enforcement will you be actually holding a gun on someone.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

www.gunbroker.com

http://auctionarms.com/

I bought my 1911 off gunbroker

Good luck with it

I prefer the cheap back to basics 1911's myself, and more people seem to have problems with Kimber's than you;d think

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Resurrection Joe named two good sites for buying guns on the net.

In my opinion, Lasegrips are not a gimmick. As far as laser sights go, I think they are sweet, although expensive. If I were to ever buy a laser sight, I'd seriously look at lasergrips. But, as anyone will tell you, a laser sight does not make up for lack of practice, and is not to be solely relied upon.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I've bought stuff off gun broker /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I bought 2 pre ban clips for my H&K USP on gun brokers. I almost bought a $900 rifle for $500 off of the same site too.

Nick

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer the cheap back to basics 1911's myself, and more people seem to have problems with Kimber's than you;d think

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your preferred 'breed' of 1911's? I'm open to suggestions. My gun collection consists of ~1~ gun, the one I carry, and I haven't had any problems with it, although I don't run as many rounds through it as the average gun hobbyist would. Too many hobbies, not enough time left to live. I've been reading through handgun magazines and surfing the net, and didn't find anything that jumped out at me as being marginally better than Kimber, but the real story comes from the owners... I'm all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif !

The bottom line for me is function, cost aside, I don't care if it's $100 no-bells-and-whistles service piece or a $2000 Pimp Daddy Nickel Plated and Engraved Beyond All Tastefullness Piece, I want it to function properly in the worst of conditions, and for the rest of my life. (In fact, I'd like to have a really Pimp'd out full-size 1911, but that's something I'm waitng to see a therapist about before I do something foolish like spend $2500 on one...)

So I'm open to really anything. In one of the magazines I picked up, I was really struck by an article about a 1911 that was a very limited run by a well known gunsmith that was polished black with ivory grips. He had engraved them all with gold signatures, and sold all but the first 4 or 6, which he still uses daily, and their wear shows it. I'd love to get my hands on something like that and use it daily. The ones he kept and uses are the only ones that have probably even ever been fired. The rest are behind glass somewhere in a collection.

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im personally a big fan of the Para Ordinances. You can get hi-cap mags legally (14+1 rds of .45 ACP)and if you want, an ultra smooth LDA (double action).

Its covered by a lifetime warranty.

I would however, hate it if I had to carry it conceiled everyday. It weighs a ton fully loaded! (as would be expected by a 1911 + 31 rds of ammo between two clips.)

Who was it here who said "Go big or go home" ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im personally a big fan of the Para Ordinances. You can get hi-cap mags legally (14+1 rds of .45 ACP)and if you want, an ultra smooth LDA (double action).

Its covered by a lifetime warranty.

I would however, hate it if I had to carry it conceiled everyday. It weighs a ton fully loaded! (as would be expected by a 1911 + 31 rds of ammo between two clips.)

Who was it here who said "Go big or go home" ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLD the SHOW! I can get a 1911 that can hold 31 rounds??? Two clips? More! Tell me more!!! (I'm at work and all the gun sites are blocked...) I'm not going to carry this one any further than from the gunsafe to the hallway where I shall fire every round into an intruder or intruders. Couldn't care less what it weighs. In fact, if it requires a shoulder strap to help steady it with both hands, that would be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[Little Red Riding Hood Voice] But Grandma, what a big 1911 you have there.[/Little Red Riding Hood Voice] [Wolf in Grandma Costume Voice] The better to Pistol Whip You With! [/Wolf in Grandma Costume Voice]

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's your preferred 'breed' of 1911's? I'm open to suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I carry a bare bones Colt model like Resurrection Joe but if I could afford it I'd look really closely at a Wilson Combat 1911, you can go to their website to get a catalog or call 800-955-4856. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Something to keep in mind is ease of operation when your startled from a deep sleep.. For that, you can't beat a double action revolver, pick it up and start squeezing the trigger. You'll find that most of the reccomendations from the home defense experts say that for the "casual" user , a revolver is the best choice. due to no safetys. Your grip is not as important and no messing with the double action trigger position ( is it cocked? 1/2 cock or full cock) before you sling lead at your attacker.
    That said, I like shooting a semi auto for fun but a ruger SP101 357 mag is my carry and bedside gun.
    Brett

12. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Brett. A revolver is great for a bedside gun. Like he said, if you wake up in a confused state your revolver is going to be less complicated than a semi-auto. Not to upset you 1911 lovers (I am one myself), I personally hate a self defense handgun with a manual safety. I own 7 handguns and only 2 have safeties, my Kimber and my little Browning Buckmark target. Not trying to excite the "glock haters", just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to agree with Brett. A revolver is great for a bedside gun. Like he said, if you wake up in a confused state your revolver is going to be less complicated than a semi-auto. Not to upset you 1911 lovers (I am one myself), I personally hate a self defense handgun with a manual safety. I own 7 handguns and only 2 have safeties, my Kimber and my little Browning Buckmark target. Not trying to excite the "glock haters", just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you on the 'complexity' and 'safety' issues... To each his own. I'm cocked and locked, and I've handled my gun enough that it's natural instinct for my thumb to take out the safety on my 1911 as I draw it, so all I have to do is pick it up and start pulling the trigger.

But I don't want to get into a 'which gun is more practical' or 'home defense' argument here, like I said, to each his own. I'm pretty set on another full size 1911, and I'm not real concerned about its practicality. This one will be more likely to stay at home, and therefore my comments about home defense. But this will also be a bit of a frivolous purchase as well, and I'm all about the 'Go Big or Go Home' mentality on this one, so the more rounds it can hold and the cooler it looks, etc., the better.

[Flame Suit ON] I looked into Desert Eagles in .50AE, but from what I gathered from those who owned them, they were really cool and all, but not at all dependable. Kind of like a Poodle. Looks nice, but takes lots of pampering. [Flame Suit OFF]

That's why I'm back to the 1911's. I want a big gun, and something of an impractically large and overloaded thing, but I still want to be able to depend on the damn thing to shoot bad guys any time of the day or night that it should become necessary. I would probably take it on roadtrips and possibly carry it on the rare occasions that I might take the family somewhere shady, but other than that this purchase is mostly for fun.

Obviously I'm no gun expert with my arsenal of ONE gun and the possibility of TWO guns in the near future, so go easy on me!

Anyone know the model number of the Para that holds 31 rounds? I'm at work and can't get to Para's web site, but if I do a google search I can find a picture of one on someone's personal site and sneak in that way... (Where there's a gun-toting will there's a way...)

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    FWIW with the "wild west" style shooting, try going out somewhere you can do this...actually try point shooting at various distances on body targets. You can easily blow through a few hundred rounds doing double taps this way, but it is worth the practice. You'll probably be amazed at how "easy" it is to put two rounds into a target without really aiming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the Mall??? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Any 1911 is a great way to go for "home defense". The actual gun is less important than having a plan, and if you have family, making sure they know the plan. I personally use a 9mm with tritium sight and a surefire mounted under the barrel (don't give me any bullshit about 9mm, 15 rounds of any cal. flying at an intruder works well, and at less than 20 ft., the average self defense shooting distance, it has plenty of stopping power) My wife knows to grab her .38, the kid and the phone and go to the master bath and call the fuzz.

The most important thing is to use a gun you are very familiar with, practice often, and if you do need to use it, don't go chasing someone through the house. Secure your room and call the cops. (unless you live in the booneys, then let 'em have the whole mag.)

Another great site is www.gunsamerica.com, and auctionarms.com isn't bad either.

16. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Like the Mall???

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the freeway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (just kidding folks, and I'm talking about at bad drivers, not sniping)

Never been to a private indoor range, drawing and double tapping I've always practiced outdoors. National Forest or private outdoor ranges.

I've got a Springfield Armory 1911 Commander. (I think it is anyways, I don't use it very often anymore) I got stainless for carry. (since it won't rust as easy whether against your body or under a car seat)

I like the government models looks, and it's a proven design, obviously. I had a Glock .45 (model 21?) and although it was very reliable and the finish was good (I was real young when I got it) it was way too big for inside-the-pants carry, which is what I imagine most use when not dressed up.

The 1911 has most other designs beat for concealed carry IMO because it is a narrow design. The slide is very narrow, again compared to say the glock. A full sized frame is good for those that aren't going to be carrying a bunch, or just want good purchase on the grips, but the shortened barrel (about 1/2" in my case) makes it a bit easier to deal with.

Accuracy isn't great, but it will certainly get the job done in a self-defense situation. That's to be expected of a short barreled gun anyways of course.

Again a lot of this is personal opinion, but a high capacity defense gun just isn't a necessity. I doubt you will find many people that can SHOOT, and have, in self defense, needed more than 7 rounds, or 14 if you carry a spare magazine.

I bought it before the Kimbers came out on the market, or I probably would have gone with one of those. I would like my gun to have a beavertail grip safety, because I think it looks cool, but no other reason. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some nice reddish-wood grips on a stainless gun really look nice IMO.

17. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Again a lot of this is personal opinion, but a high capacity defense gun just isn't a necessity. I doubt you will find many people that can SHOOT, and have, in self defense, needed more than 7 rounds, or 14 if you carry a spare magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no emoticon for this next paragraph...

I say this over and over, so forgive me... I'm not paranoid, I'm paying attention.

I carry 14 on my belt, 7 in the handle, and 1 in the chamber. 2 magazines in every vehicle. 10 loaded magazines in the gunsafe in my bedroom closet.

On April 10th, a professor at some college in California (this was all in the news so I'm sure you can still search MSNBC and such for it) held a rally calling for the same kind of ambushes and roadside bombings that are going on in Iraq to start taking place in America. Right out in public, freedom of speech and all you know. Rantings like this went on for I believe about an hour, all the while an angry crowd of his supporters chanted support for his calling. He wanted to see the same violence that killed 9 americans (4 civilians) in Iraq here in our towns and streets in America. The police did not intervene, and he was allowed to stand there on American soil and spout his cries for violence against the country that granted him the freedom to stand there and do so.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the whacko meter, I read an article on one of the ELF environmental whacko leaders who is calling for very similar violence against anyone involved in the manufacture, ownership, of legislature that supports SUVs. He literally point blank told his sheep in a public speech to hunt these people down and set fire to their homes, set fire to their places of business, etc. Again, standing on ground that people died to give him the freedom to rant on. But the point is the same... Loads of whackos with loads of different reasons to kill anyone and everyone.

Americans are sheep just waiting to be slaughtered. We learned NOTHING from 9-11. I for one cannot believe there has not been another horrific terrorist attack since. There are far more ways to deliver a terrorist attack than air travel. If just one sect of one of these nutjob groups gets their hands on say a dozen automatic weapons, which I think we can all agree would not be at all difficult to do, imagine the slaughter they could put down in a ballpark or a crowded mall. It sucks, but it is the way it is.

Carrying a sidearm is pain in the ass, and I wish I didn't feel the need to do so. I have no idea what my point started out to be, but I think what I'm trying to say is that you can never be too prepared. Should we all carry two Uzis? In my opinion, yeah. But I realize my opinion is not the norm. I guess that I'm saying that to date carrying a sidearm with 7-10 rounds in it is probably historically proven to be sufficient. I just don't want to be the guy that breaks that rule of thumb by running out of ammo in the middle of a baseball game with my son at my side.

OK, you all know my secret... I'm a complete nutjob. Now can we get back to talking about high capacity 1911's??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. dyeager535

I've got a friend that is as paranoid as you are. It gets a little old, but I can handle it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want high capacity 1911, I don't think you have much choice besides the para-ordnance.

Just like the kind of vehicle you drive, gun choice is personal preference, and however you want to be prepared is your right, so no one can say you are "wrong" for wanting whatever you want.

Personally I would and do take a multi-gun approach. Similar to having a Corvette and a K5, you don't expect one to do the job of the other, because it's not possible. What you are talking about (or worried about) is pretty close to all out war, and in that case, a concealed carry weapon is pretty pointless IMO. An AR15, AK variant, etc., is eminently better suited to that kind of craziness than a high capacity pistol.

Past 25 yards with a "stock/economical" semi auto carry pistol and you are probably going to be lucky to hit something. With a rifle (high capacity of course) you wouldn't have that problem. In the house, if defending against multiple intruders, a shotgun is again a better choice than a pistol.

A pistol in my opinion only really excels at personal defense in pretty limited situations, but ones where any other weapon (on the street for instance) either aren't practical, or legal.

Sounds to me like you have an excuse to build up your collection. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a complete nutjob.

[/ QUOTE ]
    We should talk....I don't want to go into details but lets just say that I'm VERY well prepared for anything, anytime, anywhere...even if that means taking over a small country... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status