Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay fraud & a friend...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., May 12, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy bought a 12 bolt posi rearend for a 69 camaro off some guy in pennsylvania through ebay...

The closing bid date was Feb. 28th...
    I told my friend to make sure he sent the check or money order through certified mail so he'd be sure to get the dudes signature for the check when it's delieverd to him...
    It was like $1200 including shipping, and he has actually talked to the guy two or three times and the guy was like "um yea well i'm a little behind with shipping but i'll get it out this week." yeah that was like two and a half months ago.

Now he tries to call the guy and his answering machine is turned off. and he won't pick up his calls.
    Lucky we have a friend in the military who should be going through his town in a week or two, and since he knows the address he might be getting a visit.

What can my freind do? He said something about going through ebay and telling them how the other dude is commiting fraud and have the police go after him.

Has this happened to anyone? Any advice i can give my buddy?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

All you can really do is talk to Ebay. Tell them what happened.

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

He can file a complaint with the USPS for mail fraud. He can also contact ebay regarding their insurance program. I'd also call this guys local police department and the FBI. They may be hesitant to get involved, but for that amount of money it's worth making them look into it.

-Aaron

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

man, I hate this kind of crap! why can't everyone be honest!! I would have contacted ebay along time ago. but I don't think they will do much but suspend his ebay privilages. contact the local police dept where this guy lives. u can file a small claims agianst him, but that would be in his area. I would like to see you take him to judge judy!! she would rip him apart!! what part of penn is he in? i live in NY but travel through PA alot.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Where in Pa. Is it somewhat close to me? I am in Gettysburg.

6. Ryan B.

Butler, Pennsylvania 16001

7. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Screw ebay if you want results turn him into the USPS for mail fraud. They dont mess around with it and they will take care of him for you. I bet you get your part if you go that route. My brother has done it and the guy was begging for him to drop it. They actually went right to the guys house shortly after my brother filed the claim.

8. Ryan B.

How exactly is that mail fraud?
    That he agreed that once he recieved the check he would send the rearend and didn't live up to his end of the bargain?

9. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I pretty sure that ebay has some sort of insurance for things like that, also they have his credit card on file and they might be able to charge the $1200 on that and your friend could get his money back.

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Kinda off subject, but isnt that a lot of cash to spend on a 12 bolt?

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Not to get off subect here, but why did he spend 1200 on a used 12 bolt with a posi? He could have had a 9" built for it or a new 12 bolt for the same price through quite a few different companies.

Dan

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

To bad it is a few hours from me. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I would not have had a problem tracking it down.

14. Ryan B.

Yeah really.
    I think it had disk brakes on it too.

15. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Did the guy cash the check ? If he did then he will have his signature on the back of the check. If he didn't, just stop payment on the check.

16. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

The ebay fraud insurance only covers you up to $200 of the price of the item purchased. Plus, there's a $25 deductible, so your friend would only get $175 in the end.

17. Ryan B.

I'm pretty sure the dude already cashed the check.
    I guess the guy i know called the cops in his local area, and they're supposed to knock on his door today to see what is up. He's supposed to get a phone call back later today.

Sounds like the Mail Fraud is the way to go about it.

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ryan tell him to go with mail fraud with the USPS. They don't screw around at all.... it's considered a federal offense to commit that crime and they will nail yer hide to the wall for it.... why I now only will pay with a certified check through the USPS if it's for something from someone I don't know or off of eBay. That way I can file against them if they pull a fast one and know they'll not get away with it....