Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay fraud crap?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Account Investigation Important Notice

**inserst my ebay name and email here**,

We have strong reason to believe that your eBay account has been recently compromised and it could be used by a third party without your authorization. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay informations by following the link below.

http://signin.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Signln&UserID=sled_rider

(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required fields)

Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience and attention in this important matter.

Regards,

Ian
    eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team

Do not respond to this e-mail, as your reply will not be received.

Copyright 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. is located at Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

[/ QUOTE ]

just recieved 2 copies of that. what do you guys think? It goes to a completely legitamate looking ebay page, I signed in and now it wants my credit card info. I feel a little uncomfortable at this moment.

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

go to e-bay and cut/paste the e-mail in there, along with what it tells ya...i wouldn't put any personal info in. They have your info on file, don't they??

3. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I got the same SHYT a month ago.... it is bull. i went to my ebay account and went to open disputes against me . there wasnt any. so i went and sent the e-mail to ebays fruad department so they could investigate it and i was right.. it was someone trying to get my info.ebay waont ask you for any info like that in a e-mail

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks I am gonna send it to them, I am truly suspicious cause it came 2 times at the sametime. I haven't given ebay my credit card info before, but I have a certified or whatever paypal account linked ot my bank account and credit card.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm the one purchase I made a week or so ago was not marked as paid even though I recieved it today /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif maybe that was the problem

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I got the same exact email twice in two weeks, about two months ago. I thought it was legit, so I clicked the link and got "server not found" or "unable to connect", something like that. I figured if it was legit, then I wouldn't be able to access my account after the 72 hours. Well, I can still access my account. I won't fall for that crap again.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD ASAP!

I didn't even read the rest of the post.

If you havea problem, ebay now tells you to go to thier web page yoursefl, not by clicking links in emails.
    Links in emails and addresses in the address bar can be faked now (well, discovered about a year ago I think).

If you went and signed in, you probably sent your account info to someone. If you sent them anything else, like a credit card, cancel it ASAP.

Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com, then logon to ebay by typing www.ebay.com in your browser, and change your password asap.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

already did it. soon as I started reading the tutorial about spoofs I immediatelly went and changed my password.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ebay confirmed it was a spoof

11. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Ebay, Paypal, or ANY credit card company will NEVER ask for your personal information via email, i get those frequently from credit card companies they are all spoofs. I have even received one saying it was from my Internet Service Provider. they can really look legit even down to the web address in your browser, dont be fooled! If a company that has your personal information feels that your info has been compromised they will close your account and send email telling you to call them or go to their online website and start a new account. This has happened to me with a credit card company before. Kind of a pain in the butt having to create a new account but worth it in my opinion.

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I recieved a email from ebay kinda like that asking me to update my Account information. Asked for credit card info and all that stuff. Already knew it was fake though.

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I also noticed in your quote from the email, they use the word "informations" instead of information.

This is not correct grammer, obviously, and would have been my first tip-off. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Glad you got it resolved.

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It's bogus.

15. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got the same email just today. I went to the link and started to fill it out, then it asked for me email account password. That right there is what stopped me from continuing.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have two shortcuts setup in my email let me grab the ebay email addresses

OK forward that entire email and any others to:

spoof@ebay.com

safeharbor@ebay.com

I get several of these and parents do also, Dad put his info once then called me and asked HEY eBay is asking for my bank account info /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Luckly he didn't submit it yet, the checking info was too much and he thought that was fishy. It was telling him his account needed updating for the ebay records, the emil looked like an ebay mailer, the first time it wanted info in the email, the second time was by going a site (not by address but by number xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx type address) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyhow, forward that stuff to those addresses /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. cmcracing

cmcracing Registered Member

I never give any personal info to any site unless it has the S in the http address. example(https) means it is a secure site. (http) is not a secure site.

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

EBAY will never ask for your credit card info again unless you order something. I just registered for an account and had to enter in my card number for the registration fourm. They warn you on that page to never give your credit card number to an email from them. They say they wont ask for it again after you enter it when you register.
    -Harrison

19. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I got something like that a couple months ago and just deleted it. I just sold some stuff over the last couple weeks so I guess my account still works

20. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

guess you already figured that out, nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif