Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 31, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

There is something I want off ebay (actually a lot of things) namely speaking a pocket bike.
    I've never had experience with ebay at all, just browsing the auctions.

How exactly does it work?
    Payments-I know there is paypal, what else? what is the best, most secure way of paying for something?
    What should I know before looking for an item?
    What should I look out for?
    Pros/cons?

Anything to help me
    Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

pay pal has good protection safegards. and always look at feedback of the seller/buyers. this will tell alot about them. and if its to good to be true then it most likly is to good. just look and becarful.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for the response.
    How hard is it to set up a paypal account to a credit card? And they just use a email address to send money or something?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I buy and sell a lot on Ebay. Its fun
    Buy from people with good feedback. I usually pass on items from people with little or negitive feed back.
    IMO Paypal is the best way to pay for things on EBay. Its easy and seceure. I have used their buyer protection to get my money back from a seller who never sent my item. It works. My money was refunded right after I filed a complaint.
    You can set up a account with Paypal with a credit card or deposit money in it. That way you dont have to use plastic. Or set it up to deduct your purchaces from a checking account like a debit card.

When you find something that interests you make sure to read the whole add. Sometimes there are hidden handleing charges or high shipping rates. Make sure that the item you want is fully described in the add. So you are not just buying a picture of the item. That is prolly one of the most common scams on Ebay.
    But All and all, the vast majority of sellers on Ebay are honest people.
    Be a good shopper and compair similar items and shipping rates.
    Also be aware of currency exchange rates if you buy from out of country.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks Thunder.
    Looks like I will set up a paypal account with my mom.
    What level of bad feedback should you start avoiding? There are a few with 99.7, or 98.8, etc. Those would be good to buy from right?
    If I was confident I was going to buy something, I'd probably post it here so people can help me out, just in case. Since this is new.
    Is it obvious if its a scam, or is it hard to notice sometimes?

Thanks,

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It is good to check a sellers feedback, but also note the date that they been a member since. I trust sellers that have been around for a while; not the new guy that just signs up and has 3000 auctions going at the same time and has a few hundred feedback in month. Obviously they have sold on ebay before, but why the new name/account? If a seller has a few negative feedbacks read them and see what the problems were and if the problems were with the items you plan to purchase. Sometimes the big sellers will have one item that is poor quality and gets them a lot of negative feedback while everything else they sell is fine. Big sellers also drop ship many items, so if they have negative feedback for slow shipping or poor packaging it may be because of the drop shipper.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. If they have been around for a while and don't have much bad feedback they should be ok. Fact is that someone's always going to complain, so you just have to look at how long they have been around, how frequently they get bad feedback and why (if its clear).

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright. I will read over some of the feedback tonight.
    Thanks

9. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

Every thing these guys are saying about ebay is true just look at their info/feedback but i cant even begin to tell you how much mini bikes suck.
    dont waste your money, buy a real motorcycle made buy a reputable manuf. Mini bikes are very, very cheaply made copies of name brand engines and the rest of the chassis is poorly engineered and usually inproperly assembled. inspect several locally and look at the quality of any of these bikes. If youre worried enough about getting screwed on ebay, dont buy a product that will screw you even if it was free... somethings are worth paying for, and you always get what you pay for..

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The feedback says some people liked them...
    I don't know, for 130 bucks, I cant go wrong for a mini bike, even if its junk. :confused:

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Just be sure they don't rape you on the shipping. Some sellers will sell items real cheap and raise the cost of shipping. This is because they have to pay a final value fee on the item when it sells, but not on the shipping, so it actually costs less for them to sell this way.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It says 119.00 for shipping in Canada, It can;t be too bad because im not TOO far from where they are selling them. (the mini bike)

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

do paypal accounts expire? Say if my mom and I set one up this weekend, but didn't use it for a month...would it still work?

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Nope. They dont expire once you set it up it stays set up.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright good, Thanks.
    I'll have more questions soon, I know it ;)

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where it says "Buy Now"...and you place a bid, does that just show that your placed the bid, it doesn't mean you HAVE to pay that much? Or how does it work?

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Buy it now is just that, you bought it for that price

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah i'm confusing myself. Nevermind.

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Seriously.

Not to hijack, but I have a question about pay pal, and you guys seem reall knowlegabel about it. When someone paypals me (my pal pal is through my checkign account) the money doenst go into my checkign account, why is that? I have the premier account. Im kinda mad because I got pay paled for 300 something dollars, but its not in my checkign account, so its like in "pay pal" land now I guess. WTF? Im counfused, I read, but couldnt find and answer.

20. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You have to transfer the money from paypal to your checking account, it can take as many as 10 days but i've done it several times and it usually takes about 3 days for it to be transfered into your checking account and become available to you.