Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eBay Lift Kit - ANY GOOD??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ksims1868, Oct 20, 2004.

1. ksims1868

ksims1868 Registered Member

Please look at this. Is this lift kit any good? I don't go offroad much. I just want it to be taller and look good. You might call me a poser, but I'm not into any serious mudding or rock crawling. I just want the lifted look and feel of a big 4X4. Will this work? Will it be a decent product? Would YOU put it on a daily driver?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7929232985&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/12/4c/1c_1.JPG[img/]

This is a brand new 4" suspension lift kit. It is complete, brand new w/ shocks! It is made by Rough Country. It fits a 73-87 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, 73-91 K5 Blazer or Jimmy 4x4, 73-91 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban all with 3" front axles. The kit comes with new 4" luxury ride front replacement leaf springs w/ new poly bushings and sleeves, front and rear grade 8 u-bolts, 4" cast iron (not aluminum) tapered blocks for the rear, raised steering arm, brake line relocation brackets, 4 premium grade 8000 series shocks w/ black boots (other colors available for an additional $10 for all 4), and complete instructions.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I like my Rough Country lift, the only thing I suggest is that you ditch the blocks and get either new rear springs or a shackle flip. Other than that looks like a good deal.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have Tuff country (not rough country) for my DD blazer, and let me tell you it rides awesome! softer than most vehicles over things liek railroad tracks, and drive way entrances.... definately one of the best rides out there /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. ksims1868

Are Tuff Country and Rough Country related companies? Is this a comparable product?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Are Tuff Country and Rough Country related companies? Is this a comparable product?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't belive Tuff Country and Rough Country are related companies. I say if you're going too lift a truck, do it right. Tuff Country or BDS will give you a much better ride then Rough Country. I totally understand the trying too save a few bucks thing, but you'll loose ride quality. I highly recomend Going through ORD and getting 4" Tuff Country front springs. Even if you don't do a heck of a lot of off roading, I'd still recomend ORD's 4" Shackle flip for the rear. Again, it's a ride quality thing. Contact ORD, they can put together a complete lift "Kit" for you. What size tires are you planning on ?? You may need to regear your axles (Or swap axles with the lowers gears already in them. 3/4 ton axles can be had cheaper then regearing) Tall gears with tall tires normally = a burnt up automatic transmission.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they're not. They're total oposites when it comes to function.

If $$$$$ is the only factor, go with Rough Country.

If you'd rather spend a little more for a decent quality supension lift, send me a PM and I'll get you hooked up.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I bought a Rough Country 6" kit off of ebay. Many people who have never owned them will say that they ride rough. Mine have teflon pads on the springs and I don't think that they ride very rough at all, and they flex real good. Now for the bad part - after flexing some of my teflon pads have fallen out, when I was installing the kit the steering arm would not fit over the steering studs (I could have sent it back, but I had one from another kit that I used instead), and I haven't drove it much on the street and only a few times in the mud and about half of the paint has come off of the shocks and they are starting to rust.

I have never owned BDS or Tough Country, so I can't compare the quality of their kits to Rough Country, but many people on here have BDS or Tough Country kits and like them. I wouldn't buy a Rough Country kit for a daily driver.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Seems like a decent price to get you started. Have you priced out a similar kit locally? Reason I ask is shipping is quite a bit on that eBay kit. Ditch the rear blocks and at least do a shackle flip in the rear.

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

the good - bouncy firm ride on the street make chickas boobs go up and down.

the bad - bad flex, bad ride, not a good brand.

when it comes to springs u get what u pay for.

10. BlueBlazer

Any of you guys OWNED RC stuff? I dont want any cousin of a friends roommate crap, I mean actually bought and installed them on your rig?

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any of you guys OWNED RC stuff? I dont want any cousin of a friends roommate crap, I mean actually bought and installed them on your rig?

[/ QUOTE ]
    no, i never said anything bad about them either, but heres the specs on the springs, obviously softer rates contribute to a smoother ride.

http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml

73-91 Blazer/Jimmy......................Spring rate
    Rough Country (8002)...............604
    Tuff Country "H.D." (TCI-C4HD).....395
    Tuff Country "EZ-Ride" (TCI-C4M)...295

12. BlueBlazer

I really wasnt referring to you in my last post, and I agree they are stiffer, but I think people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I have Tuff Country on my crew cab, and had RC on my old K5 and now on my trail rig, I was caught up in the hype so I went with the TC for the crew cab, and I dont feel much if any difference.

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have rancho springs in my truck and i don't notice it any stiffer than stock.

14. BlueBlazer

Yea, honestly I think if RC springs were 500 bucks a pair, people would be all over them and would say the "cheap" TC springs ride like crap. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought a Rough Country 6" kit off of ebay. Many people who have never owned them will say that they ride rough. Mine have teflon pads on the springs and I don't think that they ride very rough at all, and they flex real good. Now for the bad part - after flexing some of my teflon pads have fallen out, when I was installing the kit the steering arm would not fit over the steering studs (I could have sent it back, but I had one from another kit that I used instead), and I haven't drove it much on the street and only a few times in the mud and about half of the paint has come off of the shocks and they are starting to rust.

I have never owned BDS or Tough Country, so I can't compare the quality of their kits to Rough Country, but many people on here have BDS or Tough Country kits and like them. I wouldn't buy a Rough Country kit for a daily driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have rough country and i am happy i bought it. especially for the price. at first i had the blocks , but
    becouse of sag , i bought the rear springs later on. its been 20,000 miles and i have no complaints.
    now on the auction it say "buy now for $282.00 plus shipping.that comes to about $350.00 for a kit off of
    somebody you dont know. now i bought my rough country
    lift a year ago, and it ended up being $326.00 total.
    maybe you might want to look in the magazine and call them
    and ask them what kind of deal they can give you. dont forget to mention how someone else has a good deal . i
    know they will try and wheel and deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. BlueBlazer

Wasnt referring to you either, so good job wasting your time with the cut and paste, K5freak and Z3PR are the ones putting it down but dont seem to have any real world experience.

18. ksims1868

Okay - it seems that from the people that ACTUALLY HAVE used RC stuff...they are satisfied with their products. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I appreciate the feedback from those that have used RC.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well sencs you named me, I'll reply. No, I have never owned a truck with Rough Country, but I have driven and rode in more then one truck with Rough Country suspension. I speak from experence not just from what others say. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have rough country and i am happy i bought it. especially for the price. at first i had the blocks , but
    becouse of sag , i bought the rear springs later on. its been 20,000 miles and i have no complaints.
    now on the auction it say "buy now for $282.00 plus shipping.that comes to about $350.00 for a kit off of
    somebody you dont know. now i bought my rough country
    lift a year ago, and it ended up being $326.00 total.
    maybe you might want to look in the magazine and call them
    and ask them what kind of deal they can give you. dont forget to mention how someone else has a good deal . i
    know they will try and wheel and deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seller davy1445 works for Rough Country. When you buy from him you have to call Rough Country to finalize the sale.