Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay Losers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by calcide, Apr 14, 2002.

1. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Anybody else have any fun stories of Ebay misadventures? Here's a very shortened version of my latest encounter...

I'm dealing with a guy now who waited until after he won the auction (at the last minute) to ask me questions (that were answered in the item description anyway) and decide if he really, really wanted it. He finally decides to go through with it a few days later and gives me his zip code. I get him the shipping info and then wait a week for the money. He shorts me by $3.48. When I tell him that he didn't send enough, he tells me that shipping should be less than it was. After I tell him that I don't make the shipping prices and don't make any money off it, he graciously sends me another $3 and demands a tracking number. He's still short by 48 cents! Yeah, it's only 48 cents, but we're talking principles here.

I'm shipping it to him anyway, I want to be done with him. At least he paid me (mostly). Anybody got a really good story?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

None that are bad.
    Someone recently shipped 2 items (seperate package/day) when we only won 1.... They let us keep it also (we emailed them about their mistake).

So do you give the guy a neutral or negative?

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The short version is I sold a set of Vette mufflers made by Borla, I had this guy bidding like mad on them, and sending me Emails almost daily. When he won them he didnt have the money, and needed a few weeks. I told him he shouldnt have been bidding if he didnt have the cash and that I was gonna give him 1 week and contact the next highest bidder. The week went by, I had already contacted the next guy to let him know. He asked me to relist them, so I did, and he ended up getting them for what he bid the last time thru. I still havent heard from the 1st guy, and that was over a yr ago.

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I sold a set of VW Bus pistons on Ebay. I miscalculated the shipping and undercharged a guy. He saw my mistake when he recieved the package and sent me the rest! Realy classy guy.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Boy do I...
    Well this actually took place over at Amazon.com not Ebay. I placed and won a bid on an xbox and 7 games, won the auction for $350 after shipping. An excellent deal I thought, well within the hour of the auction I send the guy my money through Amazon's payment thingy just so I can be sure he gets it. A day later he sends me an email saying he received the payment and would ship the items out that day. I emailed him back and asked for a tracking number. He then replies and told me that since he is new to Amazon, they are holding on to the money for 2 weeks, so he would not be shipping out the xbox untill he gets the money. I then contacted Amazon to see what was up. I was told that he was guarenteed to get the money so he was obligated to send the xbox. I then emailed him back and told him what Amazon told me. He told me he would not send the xbox because he still owed someone else money for it and would get in a lot of trouble if he shipped it before he had cash in hand. By this time I was getting suspicious and anxious. So I asked if he would accept PayPal and he said he would not because he doesn't trust PayPal. So now I'm really suspicious. So I go to ebay and search completed auctions and sure enough the exact same auction pictures and descriptions where in the completed auction section but it was registered in a differen't state. So I once again email him and tell him if he does not send my xbox in the next day or refund my money I would file fraud and have Amazon investigate. So he emails me back and says he'll go ahead and ship the xbox out for me. So naturally I thought all was well. So I emailed him back and asked when I could expect it to arrive, he then told me he would ship it in a week. So I lose it and tell him to refund my money now. Then I call Amazon and complain about a possible fraud and they start to investigate. Here's where it gets good. I receive an email and the dude was like "What did you do to my account?? I know you did something don't deny it". I guess Amazon put a lock on his account while they investigated. He then tries to tell me he was gonna sue me because I'm backing out of the auction, and he's gonna sue me for waisting his time. So I once again contact Amazon and they must have contacted him because the next thing I knew I had a refund for the purchase amount.

The funny thing is a week later someone emailed me and said "I see you have dealt with this seller before, I'm getting ready to place a bid with him and was wondering what your experience with him was". I had to bite my tongue, I just emailed him back and said I would never do business with him again.

Sorry so long, and this was the very very short version.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I sold a Caddy Fleetwood Limo on Ebay over a year ago. The one that's in my backyard right now.

The high bidder was from florida (the car's up here in NY) and informed that he just bid to see if he would win (even though he bid at the last possible second). I contacted the next highest bidder, and he said he'd be right back to me after he figured out transport costs, and I'm still waiting...

I've had really good experiences, though. I picked up a kickass CB for $18... A couple things for work really cheap... I'm now looking into pressure washers, but they only look about $50 cheaper than Walmart, which balances out after shipping...

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I sold an old puegeot 12 speed bike to a dude in San Francisco for $125. This was like the first thing I ever sold so I told the guy I would pay for shipping and he could pay me back...well at MBE shipping came to $95...you can imagine he never paid me back. I also bought a PS2 game once and the people sent it to the wrong address...BUT I used paypal and got all of my money back! 2 sweet!

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I only deal with people that have over 10 postive feedbacks. Alot of people bid,and don't pay. I had one guy that was really helpful (ie.send me extra pics) Pictures can be really decieving (sp?)

9. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I've had nothing but good experiences until just recently. I bought a game and paid with paypal and the guy told me it could take up to 30 days to recieve, WTF? I know the postal service is slow but not that bad. Its been 5 weeks and still no game, so I notified ebay of the problem and they are trying to get answers. You can also request the sellers home phone number if you want to call them.