Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay Nice Tach for 2nd Gen - not mine

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by jakeslim, Oct 23, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if i can just take the tach out and fuel so i can keep everything else, i dont want to mess with how many miles i have or anything like that

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    does anyone know if i can just take the tach out and fuel so i can keep everything else, i dont want to mess with how many miles i have or anything like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe you can. I did some mixing and matching of guages and clusters to goet the right faces. I can't remember what I did with the wiring. i.e. a tach cluster has a wire from the distributer where the none tach cluster has a wire from the gas tank senders, but I don't think it was that biog a deal or I would've remembered it.

Now, does anyone know if the 73 to 80 cluster is the same as the 81 to 87? I know the dashes are different, but I'm pretty sure the guage clusters are the same. Anyone know for sure?

Eric M.

PS If you swap out the whole cluster, you can take both clusters to a speedo service shop and they will match the milage ... but you have to have both to show what you are doing. I think they report it to the DMV also. No big deal, I did that once also.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, does anyone know if the 73 to 80 cluster is the same as the 81 to 87? I know the dashes are different, but I'm pretty sure the guage clusters are the same. Anyone know for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they are not all the same. I think there is abount 3 to 5 different versions. They will all work with minor modifications. I have only, ever, seen three truck/tach guage clusters. I purchased all three and they were all different. Fonts, circuit board, mech oil vs. electric oil, volts vs. amps...

There was also different fonts used. AFAIK, there was no tachs made for 82 to 91. However, an 81 will have the same font ( I have one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) but the others will have the older look to them.

BTW - If you lose out on this one, I have one out of a 1979 that I will be selling soon...

6. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

there were some made in 86' I pulled one out of a 1 ton dually, it had a 454,400th and hydo-boost, the guy that I got the truck off of has 2 more, he said they were ordered like that.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW - If you lose out on this one, I have one out of a 1979 that I will be selling soon...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaper than 60 bucks?