Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Sep 9, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have heard all about finding great deals on Ebay. I have never bought or sold anything there so I'm definitely no expert on Ebay. However, whenever I go there just to "look around" I get so frustrated b/c whenever I type in something I'll get 20 pages of everything EXCEPT what I'm looking for. Example: Just typed in "chevy 454" and I got 454 cams, stickers, timing chains, etc. So then I typed in "complete 454" and i got "0" responses. I also seem to see tons of new parts put up by businesses rather than used stuff put up by individuals. If I wanted new I wouldn't be on Ebay!!! GRRRRRRR

I've seen where people here have said that Ebay is not good anymore. Is this true or am I just going about it the wrong way???

2. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

3. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is frustrating. Try a search on just "k5" and look at all the motorcycle stuff it brings up.

One thing to do is click the "auctions" tab on listings page. It cuts out the "buy it now" listings, which some sellers seem to overload ebay with stuff that isn't even related.

You can also limit searches by putting in terms like "chevy" "gmc" which is most likely to fit your search.

4. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

Try
    "Chevy 454"
    with the quotes

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

the "454" thing was just an example. It seems that every time I try to search for anything I always end up with TONS of stuff I don't want.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

you can narrow the results with the links that pop up on the left... for example
    you search 454
    then on the left you see ebay motors, you click it
    then you see parts
    click it, then you see complete engines, click it, etc, thats just a shortened version of how it works

7. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Once you get your search results look in the LH column and it should have the subcatergories for the results.You might have to click on "Ebay Motors" to get to the parts but after that they should have it broken down by catergories like"Air and fuel delivery","cams and valvetrain",ect.Your spacing can sometimes bring different results such as 454chevy or 454 chevy.I have ever seen using capital letters bring different result's.Try typing NP205,and then NP 205 I bet it bring's up different stuff.

It's good for about $1000 a month for me.

I dont think they're to many good deals anymore because everybody uses it to gauge the value of their stuff before they sell it.Sure you can get lucky sometime,but it is not real common anymore.The main advantage to E-bay is that you can find about any part at any time.For me I can sell my stuff and not have to deal with all the local tight asses.It's a little tricky to figure out at first,but when you do it's no big deal.

E-bay is the only way I can afford all this stuff.

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Go to eBay motors and they have sub-categories

go to car parts

complete motors

then type chevy 454

Do your searches in increments each getting more specific, then you will be having less problems.

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

If you pull up tons of stuff you are not looking for and need to weed some of it out you can do this for example. Type in "Chevy 454 -cam" no cams will show up, any time you put a "-" in front of a word it will ignore that word in the search.