Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebay rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by balzackks84, Jul 7, 2005.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I have my Blazer up on Ebay and this is the first time I have eaver tried to sell something on it. But I have 8 people watching my rig with no bids and 2 days left. WTF do people always do this?

I understand that people want to get it for the lowest price, but at some point (and the whole point behind an auction) someone has to bid, and my listing clearly has a reserve. So do they figure that in one bid they are going to go higer than my reserve?

Its really starting to get to me because there's only 2 days left and I know its worth more than $3500. I'm gonna cry if no one at least bids on it.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Man just because they're watching doesn't mean that they want it. Some may have the same rig and would like to see what it would go for. Also if no one has bid on it then most times means that they're gonna wait until the very last second and snipe it (<--do a search). The only time I get bids early are when inexperienced bidders start early driving up the price and it becomes more of a bidding (pride) war than what its worth. I always start my auctions out at my lowest price I'm willing to sell for. Anything above that is a bonus. It may cost me a few more dollars to sell it but then I know what I'm getting for it. Reserves sometimes scare bidders off or there is only one bidder willing to meet the reserve but someone has to bid against him to get his price up. Read up on sniping and it will all make more since. I love to see bids on my auctions only after a day of listing but I have seen no bids jump 3 times my starting price withing the last 30 sec. of a listing. Good luck. PS sorry to hear about you selling the Blazer.

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

From my past experience, I never bid before the last 5 minutes of an auction. It just cost me more to do so. Yes, I have missed the end of auctions before and had to start looking again.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

With the reserve on it, so you won't lose $$. Yes people do think that with an opening bid of $3500 the reserve will be met with te first bid. I normally start reserve auctions off at $1, and people bid over the course of the auction, but the real action gappens in the last 30 mins.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I usely add a "Buy It Now" with my reserve price. Most serious buyers will use it.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

just did this with my dirtbike...
    21 people watching...
    bid started at $9.75 (as auction fees are cheaper with lower starting price)
    went to $51 with 2 bidders...

5 days left...

BUY IT NOW WAS USED!!!!! :bow:

funny how ebay and paypal say they dont make any money.... I ended up paying like $65 total to ebay and paypal for fees on a $950 buy it now..... :doah:

oh yeah also almost had my bike on an ebay scam....

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I never bid till the last minute. Bidding early just drives the price up. The whole idea behind listing your item for a week or more is so lots of people can see it. They dont have to bid on it till the end. Sometimes the bidding war at the end of the auction can be pretty exciting.
    I just sold a Taylor 810 gutiar on Ebay. had lots of watchers but didn't get a bid till the last few hours. Then got a whole bunch of them. Ended up getting more $$$ than I thought I would

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I saw a '72 C10 on ebay and put it on my watch list. I didn't expect to ever bid on it because I thought it would sell for too much. I watched it for several days and it didn't receive any more bids and in the last 5 minutes I checked and it was still in my price range so I bid and won. The guy from Florida that I outbid didn't even know he was outbid - he contacted the seller for directions to come get it :haha:

Also, if someone asks you a question it can automatically be added to their watchlist. And if I am "shopping" I will add several items to my watchlist and after I am done shopping I will bid on the most important ones to me, but all items stay on watch so I can keep an eye on them. Some people will watch and if it doesn't sell they will offer you some $$$ for an "outside of ebay" transaction.