Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebays "K5 blazer headers"..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Oct 5, 2005.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

Everytime im on ebay i type in K5 blazer just to check out whats for sale and stuff, and i ALWAYS see headers on there for k5 blazers. They are Flowtech Afterburners.. anyone have experiance with these? im thinking about getting a set..

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its been my experience that unless you have a lot of cash to buy a good set of headers, I'd just go to advance, autozone or whatever and buy a set of IIRC blackjacks for leass than $100.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My thought on headers. Save up for the good ones like the Thorley Tri-Y's. The cheap ones are a waste of money. They don't fit worth a crap, the rust out, you'll just end up haveing too buy a good set later on anyways.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i bought some on ebay for 90 bux about 2 years ago, and they have been great

5. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

ah ok yeah my bro has the blackjacks on his k5. they seem to fit very well.. didnt knwo u get them at autozone.. thanks..

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have a pair of Flowtech Afterburners and I like them. No leaks and good power. All headers will rust unless you get the ceramic coating, which makes the headers cost almost 3x as much. That's where the appeal of the Autozone headers comes in. Not only are they cheap, but they have a lifetime warranty, so you just swap them out when they get too rusty. But if you want it to LOOK good, high $$ headers are the only choice

7. Shh...I'm hiding

Shh...I'm hiding Registered Member

I got a set of after burners from ebay about 9 moths ago. Other the the paint not holding up as well as I'd hoped they have been very good to me. Good fit, good power and great sound with my flow masters.

8. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

agreed... they make power and sound good but expect the "coating" to burn off within the first hour of running them. Mine did... :rolleyes:

There are some cheaper ceramic headers made by dynomax for 259 in jegs. Wish i would have gone with those but i didn't have enough for 2 catalytic converters.

9. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I talked to a rep from Hooker or something one time. He said the factory paint on the headers is really just to keep them from rusting while in storage.

I always sand blast my headers and paint them with 1200 degree stove paint. They stay pretty nice that way.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The "coating" that they put on is only designed so that they would not rust during storage and shipping. It is not at all intended to be permanant.
    Go with the afterburners. Thats what I plan on getting. Just sand them real good before you put them on and make sure to coat them with a bunch of 1200 degree paint. That works well.
    -Harrison

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

how's the fit around the shackles?

12. Shh...I'm hiding

Shh...I'm hiding Registered Member

The only place I was worried about was next to the starter. I just rerouted the hot wire and have not had any problems. A better heat shield might me a good idea but so far so good.

13. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks, so they clear the shackle bolts?

14. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

Summit Racing has a good selection of headers in the sub-$100 range. Summit brand for my truck was $70 7 years ago, and they fit without a single hammer being pulled from the toolbox, no interference anywhere :D
    this time I'm going with the Hedmans, they're thicker and have a lifetime crack guarantee.