Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ebrake front cable and intermediate cable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, May 14, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I got my ebrake brackets fabbed and have the rear parking brake cables installed and ready to go.

I figured that at the same time, I'd go ahead and replace the front parking brake cable, the one that attaches to the lever inside the cab. How hard is that to do? I looked at it but don't see how it is supposed to be done. Has anyone done this before? I ordered one from O-Reilly and it will be here in the morning.

Second - I am making my own intermediate cable using 3/16" aircraft wire rope. The intermediate cable is the one that attaches to the front cable and goes to both rear cable right by the caliper. What is the safest way to terminate the rope? They sell those little aluminum ferrules, but they look dinky and I have a hard time imagining a single crimped ferrule holding. I bought a handfull of aircraft style clamps. Is that the safest way to do it? I am planning on using three aircraft stlye clamps per side. I just don't want the damn thing letting up at an inopportune time.

-- Mike

2. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Hello Michael, The tires have been working out great.Haven,t been to the spillway yet.. Getting ready to install body lift.I really appreciated the good deal you gave me on the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I read your post and figured I would give my suggestion for terminating the cable. When i worked off-shore we used a splice method called poor boy splice.We would take the cable and braid an eye in the end then add cable clamps. If the cable clamps came loose , you still had the poor boy splice as a backup which would not come loose.You take the cable and devide it into two parts about 3 to 4 inches down the cable depending on how big an eye you want to make.You will have maybe 4 strands on one and 3 on the other. Then take the cable ends and tie them together to form the eye...kind of like tying a knot.You should be able to wrap the cable back into its grooves all the way to the end until you cross back over the main cable.Just continue outward until you have the cable braided to the end.And always remember to never put a saddle on a dead horse when attaching the cable clamps.Thats all I have as far as cables go , hope it helps out. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The tires have been working out great.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Glad to hear it, Charles! I liked the pics you sent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I decided against the splice you mentioned because I would have had to cut off the knobby on the end of the parking brake cable. I want to retain it in case I find an intermediate cable of the right length.
    I just put the two cable on top of each other and used *ahem* five aircraft cable clamps per side. Yeah, kind of overkill but I am sure it will stay put.

On the front cable, I got it installed today without any hithces. The stocker was TOAST and the new one ($15) fit perfectly.

So.........now I have working ebrake with discs! I am very exicted. If I put it in granny low, set the ebrake, and let off the clutch in idle it will kill the engine (it jerks a little, but that's ok.) I haven't tried engaging the ebrake while driving, but I will (I want to know that the connections will hold.)

So....the word is out - the caddy ebrake is workable!
    -- Mike