Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ECBB day 1 recap

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by big pappa b, Apr 24, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What a blast! Steve Kibbe drove 3 hours to ride along and help with filming duties. Dontoe showed up at the trailhead as we were heading up. He said he was right behind us but we never saw him the rest of the day. It was myself, clarkjw24 and Tim. There were a few others that stayed at the campground in tents but they took off earlier than us. I believe it was Yield2me, Keith and Bhintz..I never got a chance to meet them. We would have left a little earlier but I think I may have drank too much Friday night and was a little slow getting up :whistle:

It was my maiden voyage in the K5 and it work GREAT..mostly. I had 2 minor problems. The first was my stupid ass carb. On the flat it worked fine. Incline it was fine as long as I kept the rpm's up, if not it flooded and died. Side note: K&N air filters are not flame retardent :shocked:
    My filter lid is slightly warped now. The engine seems to run fine with fire extinguishersprayed all over it. It also easily passes thru the K&N right to the fire :D
    My other problem happened after the carb stalled on me. Tried to restart it and a giant ball of white smoke started rolling out of the engine compartment. Somehow the positive battery cable rubbed trhu the sleeve and grounded out on the frame. Melted all the covering off the negative cable, toasted 2 fusible links and killed my new Optima battery dead. Many thanks to Tim for helping out. Fortunately he had 2 batteries in his truck and let me borrow one. He's a good guy despite what some think. He also gave me a new ratchet strap when I notice one of mine was almost tore in half and silly me didn't have any spares or way to tie down the K5.
    I think the only other carnage we had was Tim rolled a front tire off the bead on the way down the last trail. A helpful jeeper with a can of ether got us going.
    John (clarkjw24) has a tool box in the back of his truck that is a rolling tool and parts store. He fortunately for me had a new battery cable. F*cker wouldn't let me pay him for it either :thumb:

The wife and I left early Sunday cause I have to work in the morning. I believe everyone except clarkjw adn myself went out this morning.
    Oh yeah...it was COLD AS SH*T this morning not to mention the rain/ice pellets and sleet during our day out. At least when I was under the truck removing and installing the battery cable on the starter I was out of the weather

I'm sure others will chime in when they get home.

And thanks to John and Steve for helping me out too. Didn't wanna leave you guys out :D

Oh yeah, fuel injection is coming VERY SOON :cool1:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

So when do we see pics? :D

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Sorry we missed you guys....Weather was horrible, so we stayed at the Best Western in Murphy Friday night. We did a coule of easy runs on Saturday, then headed back to camp and played on the rock pile. Today, we (Keith,Bhintz, Tim, 72thing, and me) decided we would go up, run a good tough trail, and come back. It took us about 8 hours to do it!!! Our crew was plagued with stupid $#it that eats up time. Got back to the pay station around 8, loaded up, and said good byes....And I JUST walked in the door. 401 miles/8 hours..Those mountain roads eat up time, plus I reset the trip at the pay station.

Will post picks later....Getting ready to call work and tell then I unfortuantely will not be there today :grin:

Rob

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I had a ball. I thought I'd take lots of pics, but I started taking some vids and almost no pics were taken. Big pappa B, Clarkjw24, and timmay were great guys to ride with. I can't wait to be able to get my rig ready to go up there. Here's a few pics from saturday.

We had to turn around once because of a bunch of stupid stock land rovers getting stuck every two seconds. We ended up passing them on another trail, and I think john or bryan almost slid into one of the :haha: :haha:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On the way back down Tellico River trail hill toward the water crossing....extracted from video so it ain't the best quality.

[​IMG]

And the water crossing at the Tellico River.

[​IMG]

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just pulled in tonight at 6:30. I've got a few good pics but I'm gonna have to pull them off of a DV cam. Got a good shot of Bigpappa taking a nap under his blazer, claims he was pulling the starter. :D Weather was ****ty, I may have everything needed for trail repair in my box but I know one thing that will definately be going in. I've got to make room for a warm change of clothes, old jacket, thermals, more gloves and a toboggen (for some reason my head was very cold). :xmas: Sunday I played for about an hour on crawfords rock garden, that was pretty fun.

I wish the weather had been better so we all would have felt like gathering in the evenings but the cold just wore me out. Anyway I had a blast and I'm already planning a trip back.......in warmer weather.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One 'mo pic.....fuzzy, extracted from vid!

[​IMG]

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Any more pics?

Any plans for a video(s)?

Those of us that suck and couldn't make it want to see what it was like! :woot:

9. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

We came down Friday evening (6:30pm) to check things out, stayed at Holiday Inn. Went to find Crawfords Friday night, turned into Tellico instead of going straight on. Got low on fuel, so we went back to Murphy and hit the sack. Run into a few others Saturday morning (nobody I knew, haha, that anybody knows me) but looked like we were out of anybodys league. Was hoping to find closer to stock stuff that would run some of the easier trails, especially since I didnt have a clue about the place (saw no alcohol sign, parted with a case at entrance :frown1: ) We went on by ourselves, ran trail #4, down trail #6, back to #1, then back out to Crawfords, talked to Steve for awhile, then started 6 hour trip back home. We absolutely loved it, just too much worry with how to get home if something broke. Hadn't had truck more than 50 miles from house since I got in November. She ran like a top, interstate and trails. Got in a couple of binds on #6 but did fine with spotter. Lol, passed all those Land Rovers, they were going opposite direction, draggin the shiat out of them. Got a little worried when we started on #6 and it started that sleet/snow. We already planning going down again this summer or fall, so some friends that couldnt come because too early in the year, can check out also. Looks like I'll need to replace pinion seal.

MVC-003F.JPG

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice looking truck, just ad a 4in lift and some 37's, and you're ready to go. Oh, and a front locker. Their were alot of toyota's up there on 33 and 35's, they could do alot, just had to try harder than the rest of us.

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Hey, whats up man?? We are the guys that you talked to at Faines Forde.
    Keith said that we needed to pay homage to your truck (cucv) since its the one that started all this dana 60 madness.

We heard you banging up to the water crossing. :D

I am glad you had a good time, throw some 37/38's on it and have a blast!!

Rob

12. big pappa b

13. big pappa b

More pics added :cool1:

14. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

Thanks man! I almost brought the Blazer (would have tore it all to heck). I got the truck planning on robbing the axles from it, but it doesnt have any rust on it (life in Ft. Polk, LA) and it runs so good I hate to mess with it. I've looked at the 4" lift and 37's like 4WOR did with their CUCV, but have already shelled out $600 for the new BFG's, because the military tires on it were dry rotted. I think I'm gonna leave the truck alone (as much as one can with this addiction) because I would rather chop the Blazer up for a trail only, and use the truck more to tow it.

Yeah I thought y'all were going to flip the last Blazer at Faines Forde, then I come in and hit the front of the frame on the ledge. Thought it might be the end of the trail for us, but we made it, and it was a blast down #6. :D

15. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Hope ya'll enjoy those pics, cause I took them, and had a great time doing it. I had an even better time wheeling with Keith, Rob, and the others. As soon as I get the Thing patched back up and get some fresh tires, I'd like to go back. I bent up one of the rear leaf packs pretty bad and also spun the passenger side 14 bolt axle tube again (spun the tube in the centersection). Oh well, nothing some money and time can't fix. :doah:

Will

16. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status