Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ECBB Day 1 recap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Apr 24, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What a blast! Steve Kibbe drove 3 hours to ride along and help with filming duties. Dontoe showed up at the trailhead as we were heading up. He said he was right behind us but we never saw him the rest of the day. It was myself, clarkjw24 and Tim. There were a few others that stayed at the campground in tents but they took off earlier than us. I believe it was Yield2me, Keith and Bhintz..I never got a chance to meet them. We would have left a little earlier but I think I may have drank too much Friday night and was a little slow getting up

It was my maiden voyage in the K5 and it work GREAT..mostly. I had 2 minor problems. The first was my stupid ass carb. On the flat it worked fine. Incline it was fine as long as I kept the rpm's up, if not it flooded and died. Side note: K&N air filters are not flame retardent
    My filter lid is slightly warped now. The engine seems to run fine with fire extinguishersprayed all over it. It also easily passes thru the K&N right to the fire
    My other problem happened after the carb stalled on me. Tried to restart it and a giant ball of white smoke started rolling out of the engine compartment. Somehow the positive battery cable rubbed trhu the sleeve and grounded out on the frame. Melted all the covering off the negative cable, toasted 2 fusible links and killed my new Optima battery dead. Many thanks to Tim for helping out. Fortunately he had 2 batteries in his truck and let me borrow one. He's a good guy despite what some think. He also gave me a new ratchet strap when I notice one of mine was almost tore in half and silly me didn't have any spares or way to tie down the K5.
    I think the only other carnage we had was Tim rolled a front tire off the bead on the way down the last trail. A helpful jeeper with a can of ether got us going.
    John (clarkjw24) has a tool box in the back of his truck that is a rolling tool and parts store. He fortunately for me had a new battery cable. F*cker wouldn't let me pay him for it either

The wife and I left early Sunday cause I have to work in the morning. I believe everyone except clarkjw adn myself went out this morning.
    Oh yeah...it was COLD AS SH*T this morning not to mention the rain/ice pellets and sleet during our day out. At least when I was under the truck removing and installing the battery cable on the starter I was out of the weather

I'm sure others will chime in when they get home.

And thanks to John and Steve for helping me out too. Didn't wanna leave you guys out

Oh yeah, fuel injection is coming VERY SOON

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good time.

Post up pics when you guys get a chance.

3. big pappa b

John has the camera with all the pics and video but he won't be home til Monday sometime. There was another guy there taking pics and video. I think it was a friend of 79pen from Virginia...could be wrong

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    if he wasnt such an ass, as you say he isnt, he wouldnt have had that problem. instead, someone else from Illinois gets to experience the luxury of airing down without worry.

5. big pappa b

Huh? I don't get it. How does his being an ass have anything to do with losing a bead?

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you had some fun there. Wish my fuel injection would have been operational and I would have been up there with you all. The stalling is one reason why the carb is now gone. Had that problem with last time I ran it and clarkjw was there for that run.

7. big pappa b

Don't worry man, you were there in spirit. Were you're ears burning?..cause we were talking about you :D

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh really, so how much smack was John talking??????:D:D:D
    I am sure I was talked about. *&^%$* Stomper put this thing toether and didn't even show up for it %^$&$&$&%..........and so on.

[​IMG]

But glad to hear yall had a good time and nothing major happened.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  9. big pappa b

It was all good talk..no worries ;)
    Now get that thing running so I can show you what a big block can do :D

and for pics you have to wait on John. I had a digi camera and mini DV camcorder but they never left the K5. Kinda hard for the 8 month preggo wife to be climbing in and out to take pics :confused:

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fixed it for ya Bryan. :whistle:

Rene

11. big pappa b

Oh you funny canadians ;)

It's all good :rotfl:

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

:D :D

I've had my own fun with carb's off road. I can relate!!

When are we gonna see pic's?

Rene

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if Tim wasnt such an ass, he would have had the beadlocks off of Brent's truck. instead, he decided that he was gonna play Mr Flip Flop on me, so i "screwed" him out of "his" beadlocks (which i paid for out of my own pocket, and was going to trade them for some parts to him. long story really.)

14. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

Dude he's gone let it die already :)

sounds like ya'll had a great time and i wish i could've been ther can't wait to see pics and hear the rest of the stories.

how where the trails?

15. big pappa b

Trails were good, really wet though. NC and surrounding areas got lots o rain Friday and it rained, snowed and sleet throughout the day on Saturday. We had to turn on 2 different trails due to broken down vehicles. We heard there were about 15 toyota land cruisers or tacomas (stock) broken and blocking the trails. It's no fun trying to turn a full size vehicle around on a trail that is barley wide enough for 1. We passed 1 guy in a new land cruiser. He was almost off the trails ulled over checking his email or something :mad: I damn near gave his paint job a touchup :p: Too bad he wasnt parked on the edge of the trail with the cliff instead of the inside part :whistle:

16. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

that sucks at least you guys got to have some fun though and meet each other :D

17. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

So any idea of how many people/rigs were there for CK5?

18. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Well I just got home. Got off the trail around 8:00p.m. We did trail 9 slick rock. We meet up with 2 other Blazers not part of Ck5 but have visited the page and did it. One guy lays it over in the trail. Had very deep mud on trail 8. It was lots of fun. No major carnage to report.Pictures will be up in the morning

19. big pappa b

We was headed up to slick rock on Saturday but there was people just coming back from there saying there was broken vehicles ahead and it was starting to get late.. Yes, those mountain roads up to the campground sucks. I drove the K5 back to the camp from the trailhead and was nearly taken out by some ass towing his buggy down the hill. His trailer was about 3/4 in my line right in the middle of the corner :mad: Wish it was warmer. Maybe next time it will be better but it was still a good time

20. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I had a ball. Nice too meet some of ya'll. Byran, did the tire on your burb
    hold up? I so can'twait to get my crap to gether to go up there. Here's a
    teaser pic for y'all. Got more video on johns camera than pics, but thats ok.

Those stupid land rovers.......I would have died to see his face when you slid down towards him, that was hillairous, We came pretty close to him too :blush:

John, those 42's were sexy to ride behind. I wish I got some more action
    shots, but we'll just have to go back :D